Decent Mainline

Andy Pet

Reaction score
I've been using Daiwa Infinity Duo for years and found it great as it breaks at its given rating, is supple, low diameter and has little or no memory.

However as I've had a weekend off fishing due to "family commitments" I was bored so decided to trial the Daiwa against a rig line I bought.

Daiwa 8lb broke at a reasonable pull.

Daiwa 10lb broke slightly higher - not scientific I agree

The diameters are 8lb = 0,235mm and 10lb = 0,260mm

The hooklength I trialled them against was Preston Reflo Xceed, 7.7lb and 0.205mm diameter.

The Preston took forever to break and was considerably stronger than the Daiwa (I feel sorry for anyone with Xceed as a pole rig material!)

Now I need to find a new reel line in either 8lb or 10lb BS.

Any recommendations?

chav professor

Reaction score
I always find choosing a new type of line difficult. The conundrum for me is do I go for the stated breaking strain or the line dia. as some pre-stretched line does not knot so well or breaks easily resulting low abraision properties.

I am currently using Daiwa sensor 6lb line with a dia of 0.24mm but trialling Shimano Technium Match and Bolo which has a b.s. of 8lb and a dia much less than the sensor at 0.22mm. Technium does knot really well and has not caused any probs yet.

I suspect that the 6lb Sensor has a higher than stated breaking strain - it is tough as old boots - but equally suspect that the 'high tech' technium will struggle to reach its stated breaking strain.........

worth giving it some thought.... Line is probably the most significant link in our fishing, but often is the least considered aspect compared with terminal tackle, reels and rods etc.

quickcedo

Reaction score
I've use Pro gold for some years now and am still as happy with it as I was when i first started using it.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I've use Pro gold for some years now and am still as happy with it as I was when i first started using it.

Me too. The only application I dont use PG for is light float fishing...mainly trotting. The only way it could be any better IMO is if it was clear. Pro Clear is different stuff.

For trotting I'm currently on Cralusso which I really like.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Well the reports about Korda subline are very good, sinks faster than most so i hear, not used it myself yet, but have had two spools filled with it ready for a trip out.

I use Diawa sensor also and havent had a problem, I also use Pro gold again no problems, i use different line for different fishing.

I am not changing my main line, the subline is just a test to see if it is any good,and if i would use it in the future.

If you have had no problems with the sensor in the past, why change ?? as they say, if it's not broke, don't fix it.......

But good luck

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Its not sensor it's Infinity Duo.

I tried sensor in the past but found it stiff and had quite a lot of memory when spooled up.

I'll have a look at the Pro Gold in the shop.

Can you get it from the States cheaper?

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
How do you find Kyrstonite performs Fred ? I tried it and found it a ****** to knot properly and lost confidence in it.

I used it all last season and I found it a good limp line. I had no problem knotting it, I used the Pallomar knot, which is the one recommended for it.

I have had some problems with Low diameter reel lines in lower breaking strains though, I often fish a slider float and if you slide the stop knot the main line ends up looking like a pigs whotsit.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For somebody who always had problems with knots, I have no problem useing a tucked half blood knot or a palomar with Krystonite.

I have to say the one we always forget is the old favourite Maxima.

Last edited:

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
Probably take a nuclear bomb for me to change from silstar match, but fishing buddy is well chuffed with the technium line. He is using the spin variety at 6.5lb and rates it highly for ledger work. He's been using the speci stuff for a couple of years at 12lb and rates that too. Can't see much difference between the two apart from colour. Any one know the difference between the bolo, spin, speci etc variants ?

Keith M

Reaction score
Like a lot of others on here I like ‘Terry Eustace Pro Gold’ and find it is quite hard to see underwater and isn’t too shiney either, plus it is a lot suppler than most lines and very reliable.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
For specimen angling with breaking strains of 8lb and over I've stuck to Fox Soft Steel for years. It's not the flashiest but it does the job with no fuss. Did try Daiwa Sensor briefly but I detested the stuff.

For my match type gear I rarely even try anything but Maxima unless I want a floating line for trotting a stick float (Ultima Flocast). The only time I use any "high tech" lines is for hook lengths or pole rigs.

bigchub

Reaction score
For specimen angling with breaking strains of 8lb and over I've stuck to Fox Soft Steel for years. It's not the flashiest but it does the job with no fuss.

Exactly the same as me. I also use it in 6lb for chubbing. Best line I've used and takes a hell of a lot to break it.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Daiwa Sensor for mainline for carp & pike
Maxima for float & light legering

stikflote

Reaction score
sorry to be the one,but i dont like Pro Gold pound for pound its thicker than
sensor, i find it to be stiffish ,have got it on one reel spool on a spro red arc,
but much rather use the spool with sensor on it