Big Rik's Spinner Rig

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
Rik, I've only just seen your Spinner Rig, hence this somewhat tardy response. I confess, I had to look twice - no, make that three times - before I managed to convince myself that what I was seeing was for real.

Now, I admit, I've never used it - nor, indeed, anything like it - so I readily concede that I'm not entitled to comment. But indulge my naivity, please: put my mind at rest and reassure me that you submitted it as a joke - to see how daft a rig you could get away with (emperor's new clothes, type of thing).

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
I've just had another look at Rik's rig, and it looks even dafter than it did first, second and third times around....

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Rik's away in France, carp fishing, no doubt he'll reply when he returns.

B

Budgie Burgess

I dont understand how it can create more "pick ups"? hook ups maybe or was this a typo?

J

Jeff (AKA Cheeky Monkey, Spud, Jay Dubya, Woody .

Oh fair play chaps. I can see what Rik means by a 360 degree spin and I can see the reason for the top stopper. I have seen similar before, I think from Ken Townley.

Can't see the purpose of the lower stopper unless it has somthing to do with the bait and not the hooking properties.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
The rig has been written about a lot, but called different things over time. I played about with it using pop-ups at an easy water and could not get a take, which was enough to put me off and I haven't tried it since. But I posted a thread on here a while back cos I was worried about the possible damage that the rig appeared capable of causing (bent hook). I've read that a few guys have done well on this rig and use it a lot, but I still cannot see the reason why this rig apparently works so well, apart from the fact that if a fish actually picked it up then it would be nailed big time.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Hmm, I thought I'd seen this before and I was right. Rummaged back all of 3 months to March's 'Coarse Fisherman' and in the 'Sling your hook' article by Ken Townley he recommends a rig for most standard hook patterns.

This was his curved longshank suggestion, he suggests it's used with pop-ups like fake corn or a smaller boilie, just enough to sit the hook upright. The taking fish should feel little or no 'resistence' whatever the angle of approach due to the 360 degree movement afforded by the swivel.

I would suggest that the lower rubber stop (near the hooks eye) prevents the hook from slipping back through the swivel on the cast, this would adversely effect the presentation and mechanics. The upper stop ensures the chosen bait sits directly above the bend of the hook without chance of coming adrift over the point.

He suggests hook patterns like the Fox series 5 or the Longshank Nailer.

I have never tried it either but it seems no more unlikely or ridiculous than many other rigs designed to increase hook ups after a take. (That was technically a compliment by the way).

K

Kevin Perkins * * * * * * *

Jim, I know you are wise in these matters, so........

Just a question from an outside observer on the mysterious world of smoke and mirrors (no pun intended) that is carp fishing, but are 'dropped' baits really a big problem? What percentage of runs/fish on the bank is considered the norm - are we talking 80% or is it less?

Or does the fact that you have to wait hours/days for a run, mean that you have to believe that you have every possible advantage available in getting those fish on the bank when you finally do get lucky?

If fish are picking up the bait (obvious really - hence the run) what is then causing them to eject the tempting morsel - is it a problem with the rig, resistance, something else......so many qestions, if I was a carp fishing I'd be riddled with paranoia...! (Even more so than usual!)

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
Kevin

I can't speak for carp anglers in general, but my percentage of runs to fish on the bank is very close to 100%. To tell the truth, I can't remember the last time I missed a run - so perhaps the percentage is closer to Mr Blair's 101%!

What none of us know is what percentage of pick-ups fail to result in a detectable/strikeable take. The Korda videos lead me to believe that it might be more than we suspect. Whether the situation is mitigated or exacerbated by the use of so-called anti-eject rigs is a matter for opinion. Empirical evidence leads me to believe that subtlety is a more productive route than the incorporation of sliding/revolving etc unstable elements within a rig.

B

Big Rik

Sorry, only just had this pointed out to me.

Where to start....

Typo? Possibly.
Generates more pick ups.
Runs which were previously just beeps.
Runs which previously gave no indication.
Cal it what you will and it's something you can't prove.
Blank all day or a run on this rig, would you have got it on another rig? How do you prove that?

Jim, with the greatest respect, you talk of subtlety instead of adding things to rigs to cause them to spin, yet your line aligner is /was a stunning rig.
Who'd have thought of adding a bloody great big obvious lump of rubber tubing to a hook?

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

A lot of talk about this rig has been going on the forums for around the last two years now. Not sure who actually devised it but moreover a lot of the talk has been that do not use this rig for smaller carp, it is 'apparently' designed for the big carp and big carp only, how the hell you do that i have now idea, fish waters with only 30+ fish in them maybe? Yeah right!

Max Cottis was reputed to say "use barbeless hooks with the 360 as they are prone to double hook."

Good call that Max, NOT.

L

Lee Swords...I hope Jim liked My rig as the critis

It is a strange one and that is for sure...But it is still way off the best carp rig in terms of lb's of fish landed in the last five years.

The best and most efficient rig is the floating pole rig.... 6 inch of line and a size 16 with two maggots on it.

B

Budgie Burgess

Wol,how dare you critisise Max....he caught a big carp once..............