Experts applaud massive fish kill

I

Ian Cloke

Experts applaud massive fish kill

CHICAGO, June 8 (UPI) -- Illinois state officials say they are thrilled by the mysterious deaths of thousands of invasive Asian carp in the Illinois River last week.

Wayne Herndon, a state biologist who discovered the fish kill, told the Chicago Sun-Times: "The impressive thing was the large size of the individuals -- up to 50 pounds apiece. That number of carcasses floating around on the river kind of gained your attention."

U.S. Fish and Wildlife experts are examining the fish to determine the cause of the kill that occurred along a 110-mile stretch of the river. Initial speculation centers on a viral infection.

"You could damn near walk across the river on the fish," said Glenn Neubauer, a chef at a Peru, Ill., restaurant. "We counted 100 and it wasn't even an hour."

The carp would threaten commercial and sport fishing in the Great Lakes if they spread into Lake Michigan, the Sun-Times said.

P

Phil Hackett disability bad speller with Pride

:eek:)Rat..........

Sad thing is Ron's had to cancel his Bowfishing trip

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Could be SVC?

Haven't drawn a bow in years Phil.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

What was a chef doing counting the dead carp up? $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Intersting how the Aussies and Yanks see Carp as vermin given their impact on native fish and we welcome then with open arms.

R

Carp do a hell of a lot of damage to the habitat of indigenous American fish like black bass, which is probably the highest valued species from an angler point of view in North America.

In some parts of Australia the revered Barramundi has almost been made extinct by carp.

I dont think we in this country should welcome carp with open arms. Carp stocked in vast quantities have seen the demise of rudd in many waters.

J

Jeff (AKA Cheeky Monkey, Spud, Jay Dubya, Woody .

"In some parts of Australia the revered Barramundi has almost been made extinct by carp."

I think you'll find that's the Murray Cod, Ron. Barras are doing well in brackish water.

R

Sorry Jeff, apologies to all, it is the Murray Cod.

I'm getting old and senile...... ;o{