Chad lake

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I set off for Chad lake today and duly arrived 7.45 a.m. to be greeted by a notice that said "Day ticket carp fishery, ?10 per day" followed by a load of rules. I spoke to the owner and she said all the silver had been removed and that it was now an out and out carp fishery.

Chad lake was a wonderful mixed fishery with lots of big roach to 3lb, bream, tench, some big perch to over 4lb and carp to high 20's. Its where I had my first 2lb roach after 40 odd years of trying which made the place a bit special to me but in addition it was a float fishing paradise.

I rang my mate who was on his way there to tell him and he thought I was joking and he took some convincing but in the end diverted to Lemington lakes. This proved to be a bad move as the fish were in full spawning mode so after a useless 4 hours we went our different ways home.

Some lucky fishery has benefitted enormously by buying the Chad fish, not a few specimens among them too, but no way would the owner tell me where they have gone. maybe she didn't know or care but I bet they copped for a good few grand for those fish.

Another brilliant mixed fishery disappears to be replaced by the godlike carp, what a sad state of affairs and no one is more disappointed than me, I am absolutely gutted.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Wasn't it Chad that Rik and some of the lads had a fish in on a couple of years ago ??

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Don't know about that Ed, but there is a second lake which is syndicated for some astronomical amount per annum and I have personally witnessed a forty pound carp being weighed on there, my son and I took the piccies of it for him.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Just remembered Graham --It was a place called Sway ...

P

paul williams 2

Also Chad Ed .......it's the type of commercial where the roach and tench grew very nice thank you!( Merv and myself had a fair few)

Graham....was the owner the same as your previous trips? a guy called Dave i seem to remember.....big fella?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
No Paul, you mean the hells angel type chappie that never spoke? He sold it two years ago to this London taxi driver (may he suffer eternal punctures).

It was probably the best roach fishery I've ever fished, I have had as many as 20 roach over a pound on more than one occasion at Chad and now its all gone, I still can't believe it.

There was something for everybody there even if carp was your thing so why he felt it necessary to do this I just don't know. There are only 12 people allowed to fish it now and even at ?10 per peg I can't see him making as much money as before, its crazy.

P

paul williams 2

Yep thats the chap i remember....exept he did talk.....at least to my mate Merv...but Merv knows a lot of people!

I used to take my nipper down there now and again, close in he took a roach a slither short of 2lb.....problem was he then thought this was typical roach size!!!

He had previously took a bream from a large pit that went over 11lb!

He is now back on the cut catching gobies untill he learns that waters like these are special!!

May the taxi drivers fares all do runners!!

I was going to suggest Sway to you for another "angler in wonderland" type day but i think that has gone similar ways.

Peter Kimber

Reaction score
on monday i visited chad lakes and nearly fainted at the price but my fishing buddy said it would be worth it as he has had lots of big carp out , so we set up , we were the only ones fishing , we were using some really good baits but would you believe it not a single bite on any of the four rods , chris reckons it was because the owners had a bloody great water pump firing the water out making a hell of a noise , the other lake was a ?1000 syndicate lake .

pete