Spinning Reel

D

david bruce 1

Having purchased several reels to go pike and salmon fishing with I have yet to find one that suits. What's your favourite? Why and what kind of prices?

B

Budgie Burgess

For lure fishing and boat fishing I prefer a multiplier.I like to use a left hand wind multiplier some what bucking the US style.For my money you cant beat the ABU Ambassadeur in the 600 or 6500 size.The models I prefer are the 6001C.Preferably an older (pre 1980) model as the build quality was so much higher.Can be found on Ebay for arond ?75 depending on condition.Also as they are a favourite with collecters they often apear in auctions and the Anglers Mail/Angling Times "Swop Shops".

keora

Reaction score
For float or leger fishing, Shimano baitrunners are ideal, although on the heavy side. Basically any medium size, medium priced fixed spool will do, I don't think brand is that important

For lure fishing I prefer a multiplier, such as a Shimano Curado, at a cost of about ?100.

C

Chris Bishop

Multis for bigger lures, ABUs like Budgie.

I'd buy new as some do seem to wear out, the spool trip thing or levelwind pawls seem to go after a couple of seasons.

For spinners and lighter lures I just use one of my bait fishing reels usually with 50lbs Powerpro.

Main thing you need is a good line roller as you do get line twist with fixed spools and it helps reduce it.