rapala mini sized lures

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
i have recently purchased via e-bay some rapala lures/plugs,a couple of them are only little things at about an inch or so long and with little weight to them.
my question is,how the hell am i gonna cast the things??? my lure rod is a shakespeare ugly stick and is far to big for slinging these things out.
is it a case of buying a little type lure rod for them or perhaps adding some sort of weight to the trace i attatch them to....some sort of sliding bullet perhaps???
i`m sure these lures will be good for perch and perhaps chub so it would be a shame to not use them.
i think in future,i will double check the length of any lures i buy over the net before paying for them.
any ideas folks???

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
get a small spinning rod and reel mis the best option. The problem with adding weight is they will run to deep unless you want them to due to the nature of the venue.

On the river for Chub you could get away with using your chub avon rod.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Try a 10 weight fly rod with a shortish leader and a shooting head.

Should work a treat.

C

Chris Bishop

Until you get the trebles in yer ear'ole..!

Small-ish fs reel, thinner braid and a nice snappy spinning rod.

R

Wear a hat like mine and not a silly baseball cap and you earoles will be protected.

E

Eric Hayes

Nick, correct me if I?m wrong but I think your talking about the smallest countdowns and floaters I cant remember the weight off hand but I think bettwen 3 & 6 Grams.

I use them for Perch, Chub & Trout, the gear I use with them is a 7ft Drennan Esox lure rod and an Abu Suveran 2000 loaded with 8lb fireline. Although the lures cast quite well with this setup (about 15-20 yards, less with head wind) I tend to stay low keeping my movements to a minimum working the lures around any shaded areas under trees and around backside vegetation so distance isn?t really an issue so I?m quite happy with the above setup, but:-

A mate of mine uses a Fox Jig Master and a small Shimano Twin Power loaded with 6lb mono although I prefer Braid, especially with smaller lures due to the extra distance you get on the cast, the Jig master has a better action for this type of lure and if I hadn?t bought the Esox I would definitely have gone for the jig master.

Just my thoughts hope it helps.

Failing that if you don't want the Rapalas I'll have em. They are a good little plug.

B

Budgie Burgess

Untill a couple of weeks ago I would have reccomended an "Ultra light" Spinning rod and fixed spool reel out fit.After all I had always known it was impossible to cast ultra lights on a batcasting outfit.....untill I tried one of the guys who attended a fish in at Steve Burkes Wingham water ultra light outfit that is!

A nice sharp actioned single handed 6' rod with an amazing little Daiwa multiplier reel loaded with Power Pro.I was amazed that you could cast such small lures a good distance! even more suprised that it was a Daiwa reel that you could do it with and not an Ambassadeur!

Cant remember all the details but will get them if anyones interested.Do seem to remember the tackle was imported and cost a fortune!

I use multipliers a lot but never thought I would see one that would chuck lures of this weight so effortlessly.

R

The secret with the latest little baitcasting reels is the light spool. This is why even small lures can be cast with these reels.

In the past, most multipliers had quite heavy spools so that there was a lot of inertia to overcome, making the casting of small lures very difficult.

I was shown a marvellous little reel on the Daiwa stand at Go-Fishing. It had a retrieve setting that enabled you to twitch your lure or plug back without winding.

Expensive yes. But I am thinking of buying myself a light baitcasting outfit to tackle some big perch I know about.

Once you get the hang of casting with these reels they are far superior to fixed spools in every way.

B

Budgie Burgess

Yes as you say Ron the weight of the spool is the deciding factor and also I believe the reason behind the high price!

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
thanks for the replies so far gents....although i`ve got a good selection of shad type lures and plugs etc... i`m only going to be an occasional lure fisherman so i think buying another rod might be something to perhaps mull over in the future when i get a bit more experienced etc...
one of the lures is called "the vampire" if i remember correctly and the other one is a pearly white/silvery colour with a rattle type ball bearing in it.
unfortunately i havent got the boxes for them anymore but both are brand new and unused and i would swap both for a larger rapala lure if anyone was intrested???
i`ve also got a shakespeare baitcasting/small multiplier type reel thats well thumbed and in perfect working order so i have been told.i got it at a car boot sale about a year ago but i`m buggered if i know how to use it!!!

R

Dead easy mate. Get a rod about 6 feet long with a pistol grip handle. They are not expensive. Try Harris Angling.

The basis of casting with these reel is the overhead cast. Start off by setting the tension on your reel so that the weight of the lure will just start the reel spool spinning. Hold your rod in your right hand with your thumb on the spool with about a foot of line outside the top ring AND THE AXIS OF THE SPOOL VERTICAL, not horizontal. Believe me when I tell you this.

Hold the rod in this position in front of you, take the rod backwards and then flick it forwards, AIMING HIGH! Release the spool and watch the trajectory of the lure. Feather down on the spool, just before the lure hits the water, or the ground if you are practising.

With a bit of practice you will be able to cast a good distance and after a while you will not require any tension on the spool.

Casting with these reels is worth mastering. The accuracy you can achieve will be a revelation to you. You will never want to use a fixed spool reel again.

Gilby Gilbertson

Reaction score
anyone into the idea of lightweight lures and multipliers mightlike to have a nose around this site

http://www.japantackle.com/

I recently got hold of a shimano scorpion 1001 as an upgrade to a daiwa TDA153hstl. Lovely little reel, casting 5gm jig head grubs nicely.