Bite indication

R

Rodney Wrestt

Which bite indicator do you prefer? In another thread I asked advice on the reason my rod has a threaded tip eye asking if it was for a swing tip and the responses I received cleared it up, however I noticed a few people who replied said swing tips were rubbish. Has anyone had any success with the Polaris Side Winder, I have one but have never used it, preferring to use a quiver tip or float. I saw the Side Winder and thought they looked perfect for tight swims or rough weather, but haven't got round to trying it yet.

K

Keith Miller

You should try it! I have found them to be really useful in Ireland on the big loughs when it is rough and windy and big waves are coming at you, a situation where bounce on a quiver tip makes bite determination very confusing. You can use two rods easily as they both point straight out. Keep the rod tip under the surface.
I also, when I first set them up at home, put tape on the rod to avoid damage. They do not interfere with casting and a different strength tip can be used without breaking down because of the pigtail at the end of the tip. You can also change to sidewinder without breaking down if conditions deteriorate. With braid they become more sensitive.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
I agree with Keith, I like the sidewinder for stillwater fishing. One of the other advantages over a quiver tip is that with the rod straight out you get a much more powerful strike if you need it as you strike straight up rather than to the side as with a quiver tip.

As for swing tips, they are one of the most sensitive bite indicators ever. You just need still conditions to use them.

You still can't beat the sight of a float going under though, the ultimate indicator in my opinion.

K

Keith Miller

Dave, I too like using the float, its where I started years ago.
I was experimenting with success this summer trotting using a small Drennan pike bob to hold a lump of luncheon meat as change from watching the tip.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Dave,
Yep I agree, the float is the best and most exciting indicator it's usually my first choice weather & conditions permitting.