Which landing net for barbel?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

With the new season approaching can someone suggest a good landing net for barbel

The match net I have might be too small (I hope) and a carp net to big

I hope this thread doesn't get merged with other "Net" related threads

dezza

Reaction score
I use a big round one I obtained from Leslies of Luton. It was a tad pricey at £45.00 some years ago but it takes near 20 pound pike and double figure barbel easily. It will certainly hold the biggest barbel swimming.

Personally for barbel I would always recommend a round net. They stand up against fast currents and can be pushed through weedbeds.

Dave Slater

Reaction score
I use a Whitlock net for barbel. It is spoon shaped, very robust and can be poked under weed easily. When I bought mine they did two sizes. I have the larger size and it is massive. They stopped making these many years ago but I believe they are now available again.

Reaction score
Clearly your net hasn't seen much action Fred :wh

I have a large Korum spoon net - big enough for double figure barbel without being unwieldy like a large carp net.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Gardner barbel spoon for me. Just make sure that you tighten and threadlock the two little grub screws that secure the net loop to the spreader block.

Reaction score
ON a river it is the norm to use a pan net, with a deep net to allow the fish to rest plus a larger mesh to better cope with the flow.

What do you use for still water barbel?

quickcedo

Reaction score
The spoon nets tend to have less bag and so get caught less on foliage when moving swims. They are also better to use in flow and weed. Take your pick re make and model.
Just ensure there is enough bag to allow the fish a bit of room for reccovery time.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
ON a river it is the norm to use a pan net, with a deep net to allow the fish to rest plus a larger mesh to better cope with the flow.

What do you use for still water barbel?

I never let any fish recover in a landing net, seen a number of Barbel deaths with this method, simple reason being some anglers can't be ar$ed to give the fish long enough to recover.

I have the large Gardner spoon landing net, no problems with the screws at all. I also have a 36in net that i made myself from a broken 42 inch Carp landing net.

quickcedo

Reaction score
Without getting into the old Barbel recovery/release thing again. Ray I've seen enough just chucked back, I don't think the landing net is the issue, it's the mentallity of the angler.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Mark,

I agree 100% it's not the net, thats why I said some anglers can't be ar$ed to to wait long enough for the fish to recover. Much better off putting the fish in a recovery tunnel or a well staked out keepnet.

quickcedo

Reaction score
This is a debating society with only gentlefolk as members. Any debate will be conducted with dignified responses.

Honest:)