Disinfection of fishing equipment

little oik

Reaction score
What does everybody use .Why I ask is that in Ireland we have a new invasive species alert over the Asian Clam. Virkon is about the best but hugely impractical (expensive) for the individual angler .I myself have been using boiling water and now and again use a very weak solution of jeyes fluid (washed and dried before use). There are some people who are advocating the use of a weak solution of bleach (1000:1 )and well rinsed off and dried .I am not a chemist but would have thought after a time the bleach would contaminate the equipment and give off a smell and eventually rot nets etc,Also if everybody used it would it eventually cause an impact on the water quality.:confused:

robhale

Reaction score
Wash in warm soapy water and then, the important bit, dry completely, in direct sunlight if possible.

Even if you use disinfectant etc to wash your nets, mats, slings, always dry totally and in direct sunlight if possible.

little oik

Reaction score
I know that drying the nets thoroughly will kill off bacteria and khv but will it deal with eggs .Boiling water I would have thought would be sufficient if you can guarantee that the water hits all parts of the equipment ,but people are talking of boots mudfeet on chairs and boxes rod rests ,no idea as yet if they have picked out cage feeders yet . Mind you it will be like p**sing in the wind as there are boats and wildlife to contend with as well.

dezza

Reaction score
I recently had various items fumigated as I passed from Australia to New Zealand and back again.

The real nasty carrier is felt soled waders

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I would have thought that using any disinfectant would kill off the eggs, good rinse and dry out, i bet even washing up liquid would do it.....plus your hands will stay soft and gentle...:)