matt hayes guiding days

john hooper

Reaction score
read about matts guiding days in angling times this week, over five days he used 50 kilos of boilees to ensure his clients caught fish(the monument was one of the waters he was using).If i was spending a day with matt i would hope that i would learn something for my money (not cheap fishing with matt), what did these anglers learn apart from how to play a large carp for their money, not much i would think.Also it brings into question the usefulness of most of the articles in the times if these are the tactics being used, 50 kilos of bait represents two weeks wages and probably what i spend on bait in an entire year.

john hooper

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
He no doubt got the bait free for testing as well. The problem with places like the Monument is you dont have to earn the fish. there are that many in there and competing for food.

10 kilos a day is not a lot if you consider they were fishing 2 rods each thats 2.5 kilo per rod. Match anglers can go through that in a day.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

More fool the people paying so much for the days guiding ....

M

Mark Hodson

That article should have had another title at the top reading "Advertisment Feature"

Phil Adams

Reaction score
I would have thought that a days tuition with someone like Mr. Hayes would bring about a change in the way people fish. To me he is a skilled, experienced angler, who should be able to pass on many vital tips and info on a range of fishing methods.

However, I dont see how fishing somewhere like the Monument and using large quantities of bait can teach anyone anything of much use. On waters like this, you can literally buy your fish. IMO

Granted it wasnt me being tutored so I could be wrong. No doubt people who have coughed up the cash and caught large fish with Matt are very happy enough.

Personaly I would want to spend time learning or improving a certain method or skill. Piling in bait into a very well stocked water is not a skill.

But if thats what people want to do then why should he turn down the money? and Im sure Mr. Hales in conjunction with Mr. Hayes will have many more customers visiting the Monument.

Just me rambling.

P

Paul Clarke

If you could spend a day with a 'celebrity' fisherman , who would it be and what would you want to learn ? Personally , i'd prefer to learn about small stream/river fishing because thats where my knowledge is weakest . And i'd pick John Wilson on the Wensum .
I have had the help of Mark Wintle on the Stour who's advice and 'lending' of some bait led to the capture of my P.B chub (5lb 15oz) .

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

I learned a lot about fishing the Wensum from Wilsons fishing programmes especially when it comes to chub but I'd be hanged if I'd have paid him ?400 for one day's tuition.

T

Terry D

If you want to learn about catching carp the go to the Carp Society's adult masterclass. Lots of venue experts on hand at Horseshoe Lake, teach ins in the marquee plus expert help on the bank and, lots of fish to go for. The weekend is very cheap at ?130 which includes breakfasts and evening meals. It's just a shame that it is only run once a year in May so you need to book it about Jan/Feb time to get in. Well worth the money.

P

Phil Heaton

I understand that when booking a day with Matt Hayes, the targetted species and venue is normally down to the client. This would indicate that someone presumably had an enjoyable day in the presence of their angling hero....to them good value for money.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
And you can share the cost with mates. its the same price if there is 1 or 4 people. You are paying for the is time.

T

Terry D

I take it that Matty is a guide and not a coach, so I suppose he doesn't have a coaching qualification to his name, nor attended a child protection workshop nor had a police CRB check either. Not that we don't want to open that can of worms either.

Deanos

Reaction score
For me, it would have to be Tony Miles, before I read his book on chub fishing, I couldn?t catch a cold. He is a grafter, his methods take hard work and perseverance.
If Tony Miles barbel fishing advice works out the same for me this season as the chub fishing did, I shall be a very happy fella. He also classes Matt Hayes as a very good friend, and a good angler. I doubt I will ever get to fish with Tony Miles, but I hope to at least meet him one day to say thank you for being a bit of an inspiration, and helping me put some nice fish on the bank.

P

paul williams 2

I can't remember the guys name but like Tony he was one of the Cov SG......one that never tried to be "known"......he would be someone i would like to spend a day with......come on Ed, Ron, Graham etal whats his name?
Merv once told me he hardly ever sat down when barbel fishing and was always on the move.

E

Eric Hayes

I would guide for mat Hayes for a little over a ton and I would supply bait, tackle and venue ticket. I would only be doing the discount because he has the same last name as me so there is a possibility we could be related. I wouldn't extend that deal to every Tom, **** or Harry.

M

Mark Hodson

Can anyone hit him in the face with a lead or do you have to pay extra for that ?