Frightening.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Lifted from another site.
METAL BAR ATTACK ON ANGLER, 25
More Headlines | Back to home page
BY TIM SMITH

10:15 - 31 May 2006
A man could be left blind in one eye after a gang of thugs attacked him with a metal bar during a fishing trip.

Lee Knight, 25, was asleep in his tent at Watermead Park, Leicester, when yobs broke in and repeatedly hit him about the head and body.

The victim, from New Parks, suffered a fractured eye socket, a gash on top of his head which needed five stitches and numerous other facial injuries.

He cannot see out of his right eye and will visit a surgeon tomorrow to find out if he is permanently blinded.

Lee said: "I was asleep in my sleeping bag and all I heard was 'Oi, oi, get out'. I opened my eyes. I was startled because I was half asleep still, and there were five of them there.

"One of them came and whacked me over the head with the bar. He hit me again and again and again. There was blood everywhere - it was pouring out of my mouth.

"I managed to grab my fishing knife and waved it at them and then they all left. It was terrifying because I was on my own in the tent and there were so many of them."

The attack happened on Monday at about 1.30am, while Lee was on a night fishing trip with a group of friends.

As his friends slept in separate tents nearby, the gang broke into Lee's camp.

Earlier that night, at about 9pm, Lee had asked four men who were riding mini-mopeds on the reservoir's footpath to be careful as they rode past his fishing equipment.

An argument followed, and Lee said the men warned him they would return later with their friends.

He believes they could be responsible for the attack.

Lee, a window cleaner, said: "My eye has only just stopped bleeding and when I open it everything is blurred. I'm worried about what the eye surgeon is going to say - I don't want to lose an eye.

"I've got injuries all over one side of my body as well - my elbow, leg, knee and shoulder."

Detective Constable Andrew Osborn, who is investigating the attack, said: "This was a vicious attack. It's very important that we identify and trace the men responsible.

"If the group of men in the first incident were not involved in the attack I would urge them to contact us as soon as possible so we can eliminate them from the inquiry."

The incident happened near to the car park at the end of Alderton Close.

The suspects are described as men in their early 20s. Three are described as Asian and one as Eastern European. It is believed they may have been with three women at the time of the first incident.

Anyone with information should call Det Con Osborn on 0116 222 2222.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Scum is the only word i can tink of to discribe these individuals. Hope they catch them and throw the book at them. Though they will no doubt just get a small fine and telling off.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Mini mopeds, unlicenced, no number plates, uninsured and ridden by yobs of the worst kind. They carry baseball bats and metal bars, hitting people as they ride out on their reign of terror.

The police will never catch them.

I brought this up a little while ago in a different thread by the way.

What can we do?

Milo

Reaction score
Reading the story sent a cold shiver down my spine! Displicable! Could an extra charge of trespass be added to the offences as they'd entered his tent without permission?

I wonder if the Police will be speak to Lee over his fishing knife? I dread to think how far they would've gone if he'd not found it and waved it at them though.

Wishing Lee a full and speedy recovery.

R

Question for Mark Hodson.

What are we supposed to do if you are alone and suddenly confronted with a gang of knife or bludgeon wielding thugs who are threatening your life?

And you are old infirm and do not have a weapon to defend yourself.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Defend yourself useing minimal force only, so as not to cause further risk to yourself or your assailant.

I

Ian Cloke

Cowardly scum!!! IF the police catch them, they will probably get a suspended sentance, or perhaps a bit of comunity service. What they need is...........well I think the majority of people know that!!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Ron in your case (old and infirm) you should just lie there and take your beating like a man !

Sgt Bash

Reaction score
This has been on a few websites now, and the key thing everyone picks up on is the altercation earlier in the evening, it may have been pretty volotile and possibly racist for the attackers to return in the middle of the night. Having said that, whatever happened earlier, it was a cowardly attack on a sleeping person, and if caught they should be tried for at least attempted manslaughter.

R

You must be joking mate, doing that is attempted murder.

Hitting a person like that with a steel club has GOT to be attempted murder!

Civilised people do not do these sorts of things. These scum are uncivilised and need removing from society for ever.

Tom (Bream Machine)

Reaction score
It occured last year as well ! A well known angler on the Toatal Fishing website was attacked by persons using an AXE!!!! He was very lucky to have survived. This took place on a Cambs river, in daylight, by people who are lets say....known to move around the country, big caravans etc.
Now, this guy never fishes alone anymore, he never fishes his local river anymore, and he limits himself to busy commercial venues.
I read about this latest incident by a gang of cowards....way too scared for a one to one go where they would have lost all teeth and probably the ability to walk unaided. Some people are pure scum, sadly, here they get away far too lightly for thier crimes.

Chevin

Reaction score
Sadly this kind of thing is also happening on this side of the world too, though, thankfully, not as often as it appears to be happening in the UK - yet. Trouble is, we are experiencing the same problem you guys are facing. A guy high on speed attacked me and I took him to task over the matter. When the police arrived, they took him to hospital in one of their vans and kept me at the scene for 2 hours despite the fact I needed 18 stitches in my right hand. He attacked me, I defended myself and my property and I got a caution. My attacker was 23, I was 58! Plenty of mitigating circumstances for the yobs, but none at all for the victims!

Deanos

Reaction score
Chevin,
I hope you battered the shit out of him, hope the incident has not destabilised your life or that of your family in any way.
I as an individual fully respect you action and respect you for what you did.

C

Christian Tyroll

Sorry to hear about that Chevin and obviously all the other stories terrible stuff. I read about something similar on BFW to! Makes you wonder how safe we really are, even in broad daylight?
After reading all these things it will certainly make me think twice about where i fish at night!

I also think its a disgrace how we can get fines, cautions etc when we've been attacked and are just defending ourselves. Its an absolute joke.

Ron with regards to the yobs on bikes, we get them where i live. I was in the town with a few of my mates and there was a power cut (this was a bout 9 in the evening) so no street lights etc. About 5 minutes later 4 of them came came down the road tried to go for us on the paverment.

They came back round again 2mins later being chased by a old mini. God knows what they did to upset him, the bloke in the mini was only about 20, the people on the bikes are about 17,18 they used to go to my school!

Anyway the mini drove one of them into the paverment and he fell of, his friends just drove of. I regocnised the boy instently 'he's fat, he's round he bounces on the ground...' well thats how the song about him went and too true lol. He did alot of cursing and got back on his bike and drove of.

We were standing about 30 meters away when all this happened and i was just a little bit scared, until i relised who it was. Then i just had to laugh, i know its terrible but i really couldnt help it. This boy always had it coming to him!

Hope we dont get to many more of these threads,

Christian

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I've been on the receiving end, but it only happened once in 34 years.
Never again, I hope!

Chevin

Reaction score
Hi Deanos and Chris. Thanks for your concern but it certainly didn't have a negative effect on our attitude or way of life. Though it frightened my wife a bit when she got an SOS message in a shopping centre and was told that she was needed to drive me to hospital.

At the time I owned a kiosk on a bus/train interchange station and we were plagued by druggies. I was attacked several times but the culprits on the other occasions were on heroin and they were easy to deal with. Someone on speed is a different matter altogether, you can do an enormous amount of damage to someone like that and they aren't aware of it, they just keep coming back for more. Yes, I made a real mess of him and he needed a lot of treatment for his injuries.

He attacked me to take a $5.00 note off me and one of the coppers told me that I had gone over the top a bit for $5.00. I pointed out that if he had snatched a $100.00 bill he wouldn't have stopped to give me change.

What put me in the wrong in the eyes of the law was that he had tried to run away but the red mist was up and so I chased him and then continued his education. It was all caught by a CCTV camera!

One good thing coming from it all was that all of the yobbos that hung around the station saw it happen and I had no trouble from any of them after that! I even gained a bit of respect from them - that is the kind of language they understand!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

I pointed out that if he had snatched a $100.00 bill he wouldn't have stopped to give me change.

I like that one Chevin.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I don't think you went over the top. If he go the $5 this time he would have thought easy target and been back in the future. I say well done mate. Pain is the only thing these yobs understand and respect. They expet people to just give up there belongings in fear.

Chevin

Reaction score
They expet people to just give up there belongings in fear.

Exactly. I discovered quite soon in my time at the kiosk that the yobbos found that if they screamed obscentities in peoples' faces, most people backed off. However, the yobbos were totally untested and if you took the initiative and grabbed them by the shirt front and swung them round which put them off balance, the look of aggression was instantly replaced by one of terror. Most of them are totally gutless which is why, in most situations, they run around in packs. Druggies however, tend to be individuals and much easier to deal with - even when they are desperate for a fix.

As you say, the amount involved was irelevant, it was my money and he tried to take it off me.