Why do we always return to that favourite peg?

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Was up at the crack of dawn yesterday morning to fish one of my club ponds at 5.30am. Imagine the scene. A mature pool over 100 years old, surrounded by rich green vegetation and trees, dotted with clusters of yellow headed lily pads. No breeze just the burgeoning sunlight to burn off the early morning mist. Swallows, kingfishers and dragonflies skimming the water surface. As the temperature and the intensity of the sunlight grew so the smokey shadows of mist whirl like ghostly appiritions before fizzing off into infinity, one after another.Its almost as if someone has sprinkled star dust on the pond.Utter perfection.
So which swim to fish? Not much evidence of scum in a corner where the wind might have been blowing. No sign of fish topping or those tell tale pin head bubbles by the lilies either. So what do I do? Yes you've guessed, I chose to fish one of my favourite swims using the same technique and bait which proved succesful previously. Last time I fished the swim on a similar morning I caught several pristine carp to 8 lbs, half a dozen nice tench, a couple of crucians and a load of small skimmers. This time I was bitted out by the skimmers ( they discovered a liking for trout pellet paste) and there was just no sign of the carp or tench. Different day, different result. That's why no two days fishing are ever the same. But in the absence of any other guidelines how many of us return to a favourite peg only to be thoroughly disappointed. Ah well, the morning was perfect....

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I reckon it was no good yesterday because the burgeoning sunlight burning off the early morning mist and the Swallows, kingfishers and dragonflies skimming the water surface and all that stardust probably scared all the fish away !!!

Tom (Bream Machine)

Reaction score
Why do we use a favourite float, why do we use a favourite bait, why do we go fishing time and time again! Quite simply, the pleasure it gives us......so that favourite peg, that gives so much fish, or just enjoyment of what you see around you pulls you back time and time again. Isnt that part of the ethos of what we do. As you say, it's never the same two days running, thankfully!

Reaction score
I had the complete opposite experience the day before you Peter!

I went back to my favourite tench lake (a crystal clear and very weedy 8 acre pit), fished the lift and red maggot (favourite method and bait) and had four tench to 5lb before the scorching sun shut things down at about half eleven-twelve.

I saw shrews, grass snake, a 6-8lb pike that sat under my rod for an hour, a 6-8oz pike nearly choke on mini-roach, grebes, buzzards, green woodpecker, a rat the size of a cat etc.

And, as ever I was the only person there.

In short a perfect day,

Swims don't become favourites by accident! :)

Rik Smith

Reaction score
I think it's a combination of everything maybe it's the site of the swim on the river ,fast running water with trees lining the far bank. Maybe you spotted a good fish onetime and know its probably still there and want it that bad you keep going back.Not necessarily a record breaker but a good one for there. Maybe it's the fact the position is comfortable for your seat and the fishing is o.k. And you just want to pass some time without too much hassle adjusting legs etc. Maybe the first time you fished it you did well but thought you could of done better and keep going back for more, looking for that red-letter day and when you get that day all you're going to do is wonder if perhaps you had done something a bit different you could of had more.And the next time you go fishing where do you go ?
Back to the old swim ,you know it ,you like it and you want more of it.Anglers love to fish the same swims always have always will.Creatures of habit,it gives you something to dream about while the missus is snoring .Just flick that float under the willow,thats it ,running down nicely now.Was that a bite under your favourite tree in your favourite swim with your favourite float and rod and reel.And you just drift off dreaming about tomorrow when you'll be there.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Peter, I think it is mostly down to confidence.
I have a few favourite swmis on my local river and lakes and these have become favourites because I have caught good fish from them previously, the ambience of the surrounding area screams "fish" at you when you approach and you 'know' the swim with all of its characteristics and foibles.

Confidence is also probably why we use a favourite rod, reel, float etc., it 'feels' right and we have had success using these things before.

Anglers are indeed creatures of habit.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Peter, I think you are spot on. We are indeed creatures of habit who hang onto that favourite swim like a child guards a comfort blanket. If the swim suits us perfectly and has a proven record of delivering we have no hestitation in gravitating back there because it is the easy option. Confidence does play a huge part in our sport and nothing gives us a greater feeling of wellbeing than using a proven method and bait on a swim we know has delivered in the past. Sometimes though it defies logic because in your heart of hearts you know it wont be the same-no two days ever are. Yet we still go there! Perhaps we all need to be a bit more courageous and adventureous but the bottom line is when our leisure time is at a premium we seek to make the best of it.
ED- I can recommend stardust. It makes a great additive in groundbait!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Peter, I couldn't agree more w.r.t. the confidence question.

To me the confidence starts with my planning and preparations for the trip, continues through my bank-side set up and even my layout of my bait trays.

Regarding favourite swims again, my view is that with the very limited time I have available to fish that I want to settle into a swim that I know, have caught well from and, again, I am confident will give me the result I am hoping for.

On my local river and lakes there are many attractive swims that in time to come I hope to explore, time allowing, and in fact I might even give a new swim a 'looking at' on opening day.

W.r.t. Stardust groundbait additive - do Sensas market one?

;-)

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Stardust groundbait additive is only effective at night --for some reason it's hard to judge how much to use in daylight

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I now fish about once a week and try to vary the venues. But with the best will in the world it's very difficult to walk past "that" swim!!

Mind you, I only found "that" swim when I turned up a little late and my "usual" one was already taken!

It takes courage and willpower to walk on by!!

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
ED , its cos your view is obscured by all the swallows, kingfishers and dragonflies.... As one scouse to another I reckon your ' bars are down lad!'