Breaking the Deadlock

Reaction score
Given the immense size of the barbel in the Great Ouse, is it any longer realistic to speculate about other 'record-potential' venues?

Last season saw some splendid fish especially from the big rivers (Thames: very impressive indeed, Trent: consistantly good etc) but can there really be a fish out there, lurking, that can challenge the record?

As a Severn boy, I want to believe it is possible, and that someone on my river may be lucky enough one day, but those Ouse beards are so goddam awesomely huge now...

What do you reckon?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

The Trent has produced some huge fish that have never been publicised.

P

pons

The Wensum is the most serious contender,imho,fish to 18 -13 last year,and plenty of other 17lb plus fish growing on.

Other stretches on the Ouse have huge fish,not reported.

The Trent monsters are most likely to come from Carpy stretches,or the tidal.

Pons.

R

When you go back in history to the 1850s or thereabouts, mention is made of barbel up to 17lbs from the Trent.

The Trent Otter wrote about such big fish being caught in the vicinity of Gainsborough. Now this part of the Trent is severely tidal and the banks are horrendous.

But my gut feeling tells me that this is where the biggest barbel might be located.

R

But it's impossible to compare the barbel holding stretches of the Ouse with the Trent. The Trent holds barbel along virtually its entire length. Much of this river hardly ever gets fished.

Who know what might be lurking in some out of the way swim? If I was a lot younger and had the time, I would consider mounting an onslaught on the huge Trent Barbel.

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Much talk of big Trent barbel yet the majority of those really big fish (14/15 plus) we see in the press are repeat captures of the same handful of fish - just like t'Mill.

The Trent is under more angling pressure, round the clock, than ever before so I simply say just two words to those who spread rumours of giants that only ever fall to the baits of secretive squirrels and rumour mongers. Prove it...

T

Tony Rocca

Do you not accept the photo you showed, during your BS talk, of the Trent barbel as big as a battleship Bob?

Had that photo been doctered then, as some folks seemed to think?

njb51

Reaction score
Do you have some kind of notification thing going, Tony, that means whenever Bob writes something, you are there with a reply?

I've noticed on many threads where Bob has posted something, almost immeadiately after, if not a couple of posts later, you always put in a reply.

Ginger

Reaction score
Bob,repeat captures or not, it only takes one fish to break the record.

T

Tony Rocca

I think you will find that I have posted on lots of threads of late Jonny, Bob has not.

Must be all in your mind.

T

Tony Rocca

I can read Jonny, just about. You implied I always posted after Bob, which is not so. I post after lots of people.

Bob does say some very interesting things though. Shame he chooses to stay away for the most these days ey.

njb51

Reaction score
"I post after lots of people"

I didn't say you didn't - but I cannot think of a thread where Bob has posted, and you haven't.

T

Tony Rocca

I can, a good few, so whats your point?

I think you will find that I tend to post on many Trent related barbel threads, as that is one of my particular interests.

This is meant to be about ending Adams domination, bad show to take it off topic is it not.
You a mod an all, tut,tut.

njb51

Reaction score
My point is, whenever Bob posts, no matter what he says, you seem to want to stir things up and cause an argument. THAT is 'bad show'.

T

Tony Rocca

I asked Bob about his opinion on an amazing Photo, not one of his by the way, he showed at a BS talk.

Thats all........ How the F do you think that is stiring summut up????

You obviously have a problem somewhere Jonny and I am not a doctor so take it elswhere please.

Back to the thread???????? or would you like more of the kind of rubbish this site is trying very hard to get away from?

T

Tony Rocca

ha ha what??? ha ha Iv ruined ****y's perfectly good thread.

Graham, sack the mod and get a good un.

ha ha.

F

Fred Bonney

I was going to post, but thought it might be misinterpreted too!!! ;o)
tut tut Jonny.
Oh all right,I think the Ouse will be the main river for many a season yet!