Yorkshire rivers

Gareth Davies

Reaction score
Could any one point me in the direction of any decent day ticket strecthes on the Yorkshire rivers that usually fish early in the season, Got next week of work and im looking to have a few days stick float fishing, Ive been told about the Ure at Newby hall and Swale at Cundall before do these fish well in the summer? Could any one give any advice on the Wharfe?
Cheers

David Craine

Reaction score
The Swale at Cundall Farm is not bad, but early season it is very patchy, it does have some stonking chub, but barbel need to be searched out, if you do get stuck once you are there there is an Oxbow lake which is only yards from the river, on the same day ticket which does hold a good head of fish. The whole length just begs to be fished "Rover "style.

T

Tony Rocca

Boston Spa and Newton Kyme on the Wharfe.

Day tickets from the news agents in Boston Spa, you cant miss it, on the left as you come from the A1. The newsagent will give directions, its easy.

One strech joins the other, nice for the float, good chub and barbel. I like Kyme best.

B

Bob Watson

The Swale at Grange farm, ?3.00 a day. Look for a big brick manor type building on the road to Myton. Good stick and feeder water. The first pegs through the outhouse (you'll see) for Barbel, further upstream in deeper steadier water for everything else.

Gareth Davies

Reaction score
Thanks lads
Tony
Only seen the Wharfe at Boston once when i crossed the bridge below the weir is this the area i should head for? It also loked quite shallow, do you fish the shallows or look to find deeper runs? is it worth fishing near weir (above or below?)
Bob
Is it ?3 on the bank? If i drive towards Myton will i find Grange farm easily enough and will the outhouse become obvious to me?

Any one else know any good areas?

T

Tony Rocca

The bridge is the top limit of the Boston spa day ticket bit. Half a dozen good pegs downstream, maybe, thats all. Then, as you leave the village it turns into the Kyme stretch, after a short no day ticket bit, for a good few miles. Loads to go at on this bit, deeps, riffles, over hanging willows etc.
Access down a bumpy track about a mile outside the village.

B

Bob Watson

Gareth, you pay in an honesty box. If you're in the right area you should stumble upon the house, I'll do more detailed directions later.

J

john ledger

Newby Hall very good early season.(swims below weir)
Crakehill weir and below at Cundall very good.The Wharfe i do not like anymore but Linton is ok tickets at the post office Collingham)
One for you to try which is very underated is the Rye at Amotherby and Ryton

Gareth Davies

Reaction score
Thanks again lads think i will have a drive round one afternoon to take a better look.
Bob
More detailed directions would be great.
John
Any chance of some more info on the Rye? Is it stick float fishing? what do you fish for? is it pay on the bank?
Tony
Ive been told you cant wade out at Kyme, is this true?

T

Tony Rocca

It does say no wading on the day ticket I believe but folks do. Lots of swims where you dont need to as well.

J

john ledger

Gareth
The Rye at Newsham Bridge used to be day ticket,certainly did at Ryton. York control the water, tickets from Swifts at Malton tel 01653 694580.Very good water lots of good chub grayling excellent float water btween streamer weed,barbel are present and are good ones when they come out. Bread is a good bait for the chub on both float and straight lead.
Its a long walk at Newton Kyme to aqueduct and above to the better swims.
Good book to buy is River Angling in Yorkshire by Mel Hulme,tells you all the rivers and who owns what and cost about 3quid

Gareth Davies

Reaction score
Finally made it to Newby Hall on Thursday and fished just below the weir, i fished stick float and maggots and caught all day, mainly small fish with a few net chub thrown in. Also fished the Trent near Newark last night had around 15 pound off mainly roach between 2 off us in 4 hours.

B

Bob Watson

I've been down to Topcliffe and Myton today, on the way back from Myton I stood atop Thornton bridge and the Barbel were shoaled up near the bridge in the shallows and looked like spawning, the Chub, hundreds of em, were in the same stretch under the over-hanging trees with the same thing on their minds I think.

J

john ledger

Bob
Seen the same thing many times at Thornton Bridge,trying to catch them is daunting to say the least.
Once saw the biggest shoal of chub i have ever seen at Newsham Bridge on the Rye doing exactly the same.
The long cold winter has meant late spawning on both lakes and rivers,tench have been very late this season.

keora

Reaction score
Another guide book is "The Yorkshire Dales angler's Guide" Arthur Tetley, Cicerone Press. Available in Borders and Waterstones for ?10. Covers waters from the Pennines to the Vale of York.

B

Bob Watson

John
I was looking upstream and was stood next to a bloke that was "guiding" his mate on the first peg on the right bank to the fish, not that he needed it, it was choc a bloc fish, every cast was on fish but they weren't interested. I've watched flashing Barbel many times on the Swale and it normally means feeding fish but the sandy pockets of silt were absent that you get when the bottom is disturbed by feeding. I recall them spawning about the same time last year.

J

john ledger

Bob
I have fished Thornton Bridge a few times and i dont know about you but i reckon it flatters to deceive.Reckon because you can park on the bridge without a long walk it attracts more than it should.The place i like is Asenby and Maunby and Catterick for big dace,3years ago i had 5 over a 1lb biggest 1lb 4oz in a bag of around 20lb,Gus Greaves the bailiff witnessed them but i have never done it since.Certainly there are some huge dace up that end if you can catch the river on the drop,i know because i lost one at the net that would have broken the record.
Gus rang me to say one shoal was nearly 400yds long but as i have said you need 6inches on the river and dropping otherwise its catch a dace then catch 5 minnows and its hard to get rid of the things

S

Sean Meeghan

Bob those Barbel and Chub under the bridge have seen it all and won't look at a bait under normal circumstances. I'd be suprised if they were still spawning.