May Rod Prosecutions

I

Ian Cloke

May Rod Prosecutions

Written By: E.A. Press Officer
On Date: 13/6/2006

More than 400 anglers were prosecuted by the Environment Agency in May for fishing without a rod licence.
"Fishing without a licence is an offence and those caught fishing illegally face tough penalties, including fines of up to ?2,500 and a ban from fishing. This time around the courts fined the illegal anglers a total of more than ?30,000 and charged them an additional ?25,000 in costs," explained Environment Agency Head of Fisheries Dafydd Evans.

"People who fish without a licence are cheating the system and their fellow anglers. Around ?19m is raised through rod licences and invested in fisheries work that benefits all anglers, fish stocks and the waterside environment. Last year more than 4,600 anglers paid almost ?600,000 in fines and costs. We expect more prosecutions following the June blitz."

Some anglers believe a licence is valid for 12 months from the date of purchase. This is not the case. All rod licences expire on March 31. So, if you have taken a break from fishing to watch the World Cup remember to check your licence is valid before going back to the riverbank.

Buying a licence couldn?t be easier ? there are around 15,000 Post Offices and other outlets which sell them direct; and for a small additional charge they can be purchased over the phone (0870 1662662) or from our web site ? www.environment-agency.gov.uk/rodlicence any time, day or night.

ENDS

Media enquiries: 020-7863 8710 (five lines), or outside normal office hours, please contact the National Duty Press Officer on pager no. 07659 176157

Note to Editor: Breakdown of prosecutions figures by region shown below.

Region Defendants prosecuted Total fines Total costs

Anglian 47 ?3,180 ?2,730

Midlands 33 ?2,163 ?2,240

North East 53 ?2,478 ?3,365

North West 58 ?4,840 ?3,905

Southern 54 ?4,270 ?3,400

South West 17 ?912 ?930

Thames 131 ?11,725 ?7,835

Wales 14 ?973 ?960

Total 407 ?30,542 ?25,365

jimj40

Reaction score
This is one of those really thorny issues, to my way of thinking. On the one hand, it is a good thing to have some form of regulation of the sport - on the other, it is also just another erosion of individual liberty.

There are too many restrictions on the rights and liberty of the individual as it is and rod licences are just another tax by a different name. I doubt that the EA actually could care less what anglers are doing provided they can show that they are good, law-abiding citizens - ie that they have paid up as Big Brother has ordained.

This kind of press release is meant to make us all feel good that "criminals" who don't allow the State to mug them when it chooses are reaping their just rewards - it certainly doesn't do that for me.

"People who fish without a licence are cheating the system and their fellow anglers"? Poppycock! They may well be an unpleasant bunch who don't give a damn about the environment but then I have seen very little sign that Tone and his Crones do either.....

J

John McLaren

Starts off as a good philosophical debate Jim but ends up missing the point. In any society individual liberty has to be managed so that all members have the maximum liberty without impinging upon the liberty of others.

Whether we have a licence system or not there needs to be some form of control of the use and care of public angling facilities (clubs and commercials could manage their own waters of course.)

The fact is that we have a licencing system in place and per se anybody who fishes without a licence IS cheating both the system and other anglers (I don't think you can term them "fellow" anglers on that basis!).

The fact that many fish illegally doesn't make it right and it has been an issue regardless of which hacks are in government.

Dave German

Reaction score
"In any society individual liberty has to be managed so that all members have the maximum liberty without impinging upon the liberty of others."
Great statement, pity the bunny huggers take no notice of it, the EA should have done something about all those fishing illegally on the rivers the last 3 months, bet MOST of them didnt have a licence.

honslow

Reaction score
The real question is whether the average angler believes the EA gives value for rod licence money....

B

Bully

"it is also just another erosion of individual liberty".

Come again?? Is there any thing else you think we shouldn't pay for? Car licences, Council Tax.......

Greg is right in saying we should expect value for money but surely we should support the licence and make sure we then rally to get value.

As far as I am concerned by purchasing a licence you also contract yourself to abiding to the rules and regulations associated to it. I am sure a free for all would place the EA in a much more difficult position to prosecute discretions?

I am all for it.......

J

John McLaren

Some time ago there was info publish as to how licence revenue was spent (I think it must be in the FM archives but don't have time to look).

I seem to recall that most of that revenue was spent on direct support to fisheries - which means that on paper at least we do get value for money.

The problem is that no government money goes into that pot but if all the freeloaders paid their ?24 there would be more to spend