Barbel Virgin

J

Jon Carrington

Hi all.
I am having the first day of the new river season on the Thames in Oxfordshire. i have never caught a Barbel before as to be honest I haven't fished rivers that much, can you offer any advise,
Ideally I would love to catch a barbel I don't mind about size as it is one of the few corse species I have yet to catch. Bait wise currently Pellets ,luncheon meat, sweetcorn and worms were my planned approach. I also have some hemp to create a bed to get things going.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Jon, your best bet is to call in the local tackle shop where they should be able to put you onto the best bait and method and even direct you to a good swim or two.

J

Jon Carrington

Thanks Graham. I have spoekn with the tackle shop and they advised on the pellets. as far as swims go it will depend on how busy the opening day is. I'm planning on getting to the river by 5 o'clock'ish and want to try and stay mobile as much as I can. ideally feeding a few spots on a first walk and then fishing them on the a second walk.

David Craine

Reaction score
If opening day is anything like it is up here in the North, you will need to be on the Bank the night before....last year I arrived at "The Tickled Trout " stretch on the Ribble,at 3.00am on the 16th, every swim was taken, the guy in the garage where you get the tickets said they had started selling at about 0900.00am on the 15th...I am glad that I didnt get on that stretch, because my second option for the day paid off in big style.
Whatever you decide upon, Good Luck and as my missus says "Tight Lines".

J

Jon Carrington

Hopefully it should be OK, the stretch I'll be fishing is owned by a local club no day tickets and the weir on the section is fishable only on a thames water weir permit which I don't think many of the club members bother with. As I do have one the weir should be available, figures crossed. If all goes to plan I 'll let you know.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Early season dont forget maggots and corn can work well also. They have had a couple of months without the free meals of pellets and boillies.

J

Jon Carrington

Not too bad Chris. Haven't been able to manage as much fishing in the last year due to a mini me arriving. Give me a few years and I get him into the fishing and will go more than ever..