bouncing meat around

Matty C

Reaction score
Hi guys,

just wondering if you tihnk you can lend a few tips on bouncing some meat around a wier pool..
My plan of action was to go tomorrow afternoon (thursday of course) n chuck in a few handfuls of hemp and pellets in the tail of the pool and try n get there at dawn tomorrow, n start by bouncing a lump of meat around, running it through where I had put the hemp..

If any of you think I should do something differant, please dont hesitate to say so, n give any tips where you think theyre needed..

Cheers in advance guys

Matt

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Matty,

Weirs can be very snaggy so any time of moving bait can be problematic.

The tale of the weir is usually cleaner as the pool shallows and the current picks up speed.

At this time of the year you could probably expect those barbel and chub which have spawnwd to be in the run off especially if water and oxygen levels are low.I wouldn't worry to much about prebaiting therefore as the fish will be there already. It won't do any harm howeer.

eat is that the fish have to decide fairly quickly whether or not to tkae it. It is therefore a failry instinctive bait which does not require prebaiting as a result.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Hehehe, same thoughts as Nigel (I think?) lay off the "pop" though!
;-)
Try flavouring meat (curry powder is good) in a plastic bag, shake it all about and give it a good covering.
The tail of the weirpool is where they should be hanging around.

Matty C

Reaction score
cheers guys..

Ill go tomorrow n chuck a few handfuls of hemp in anyways just to get them thinking about food, then come dawn on friday Ill bounce some meat around n see what happens

anymore tips from anyone are more than welcome.

cheers again

Matt

Matty C

Reaction score
Im planning to fish 8lb main line straight through to about a size 6 or 8 hook, pushed through the meat.. no weight on the line, but maybe a couple split shot to keep the meat on the bottom.. just use my index finger or rod tip as bite indication.. a center pin would be better I reckon, to keep the line moving but under tension, but I dont have one.. so a fixed spool, letting line off the spool every few seconds or so, then letting it go tight before letting more out..

I dunno if this is the way to do it properly, but thats how Im gunna tackle it on friday n see what happens..

Matt

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Crikey, just read my post - I hadn't even been drinking!More haste - less speed!

Matty, there are one or two good articles by Ray Walton, the rolling meat maestro, knocking about on the web.Try googling.

I've rolled a few times for barbel with reasonable success on the Royalty mainly in late autumn/winter when the weed was less.I simply walked down the bank keeping level with the meat.I used a fixed spool trapping the line with my finger tip with bail arm open so I could release line when needed.The bites were a mixture of good pulls which were hard to miss or the meat just stopping as the fish intercepted the moving meat and held its position in the flow.On striking I just trapped the line and then flipped the bail arm over when the fish was hooked as when trotting with a fixed spool.

The rig was very simple.Just a large size 6 straight through with some rig putty to keep the bait down and moving at a natural speed.Remember the flow is less on the bottom.One other thing is to try and remain in contact with the bait otherise it can get snagged and unless you notice it, you can still end up paying out line.

Braid is good as it transmits whats going on down below really well.

Matty C

Reaction score
cheers nige..

will do pikey paul.. itll be a dawn start.. I went down today n chucked about half a can of hemp in one spot.. shallow n gravelly bottom.. can see the bottom nice n easy.. didnt see any barbel, but saw about 8 or 9 chub drifting about..

Ill be happy with a chub or two if th barbel arnt playing, but hopefully theyll move in over night n a nice early start will see one in the net..

cheers for the help guys

Matt

N

Nigel Moors.

Matt - one thing I'd try is to weight the hook with some lead solder or somesuch. There is less flow at the bottom but the thicker line you're going to use will catch in the flow and possibly keep pulling your bait out of position. I've found this wrks quite well when casting upstream into the tail of the weir rather than walking the bank keeping level with the rolling meat......

P

pons

Check out Ray Walton on google,he has a website,and is the MAN for rolling.

Be warned ,you WILL want one of his reels,they are awesome.

I got one yesterday,use with braid,as mono twists on them.

He uses heavy hooks,wound with lead wire or plasticine stuck on the line a few inches above the hook.Great method ,no freebies are introduced,and you travel very light and keep mobile.
Hope that helps.

P

pons

Put in Ray Walton,Barbel Angler, pages from UK.
Also,Ray Walton,Mk 2 Rolling pin.
Anyone know his website.
Pons.