please recommend a book to help learn more

dapperdan

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have am just starting my second season after a 20 year break , but feel like i have so much to learn again and was wondering if anybody could recommend a good book to read to help me on my way a bit.
I am fishing small rivers and canals in and around London for smaller silver fish,

Also i dont drive so i am a plublic transport angler, so any advice on good venues that are accesible by public transport in north london would be great.

cheers
Danny

C

Chris Bishop

There's a lot of stuff about the basics on here, have a look through the features section.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Lots of spots on the Lea are reachable by bus and rail; Walthamstow reservoirs/Coppermill stream are near Tottenham Hale tube (though the cormo's have snaffled most of the smaller fish); Hampstead and Highgate ponds (not sure of the ticket system nowadays, but Google will reveal something, I'm sure); Jack's Lake and Trent Park are walkable (just) from Cockfosters tube; at the end of the Metropolitan Line, Watford gives you the Gade at Cassiobury Park, and Croxley is near the Gade at Coxley Moor Common; both the last have day-ticket canal stretches nearby.
Hope this is some use.

F

Fred Bonney

Have a look at, John Wilson's Coarse Fishing Method Manual,Danny.

dapperdan

Reaction score
thanks guys, will get reading and fishing and ask more when i have a specific question.

Danny

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
20 years the method for catching silver fish on a float rod was exactly the same as it is now so you don't need a book to learn something you already know. To improve on what you are doing just go out regularly and practice, small rivers and canals can hold some decent sized fish so they won't all be tiddlers hopefully.

Maggot, caster, hemp, bread flake/punch, they all still work but the only different bait that is used now is trout pellets which are best fished using a band on the hook.

J

Jeff (AKA Cheeky Monkey, Spud, Jay Dubya, Woody .

I'll endorse what Fred says above.

Like him or loath him, old Wilson has produced a damned good book there and all the methods in it will catch fish. Later, with experience, you can refine them more to suit yourself.

T

Terry D

If you enjoy your float fishing then learn from a master: The New Encyclopaedia Of Float Fishing, by Billy Lane and Colin Graham, published by Pelham Books, ISBN No 0 7207 13145. It should be available from W.H Lane & Son, 31-35 London Rd, Coventry, CV1 2JP, Tel: 01203 223316.
So much to learn and and apply, enjoy.

captain carrott

Reaction score
you got to like him that laughs a classic and he does some damned good instructional books.
among the best there are.

plus the one fred mentions is pretty comprehensive in it's coverage.

Michael Cocker

Reaction score
I started fishing 2 years along with my 9 year old son it was at least 20 years since i last fished and had no idea where to start.
I then started reading IMPROVE YOUR COARSE FISHING magazine, they explained every thing and in detail too, and the diagrams are excellent. Well worth a look.