Lure Fishing

C

Cheese Paste

What are the advantages of using a multiplier reel as opposed to a fixed spool?

R

Rob Brownfield

Well...there are two schools of thought on this...hear is mine.

I use a fixed spool and 15 pound braid for light lures such as original rapalas, husky jerks, small spoons, spinners and some rubber jigs. This is coupled with a light but strong spinning rod of about 7-8 feet rated for about 5-20g. I fish for pike and Perch using this.

I use a multiplier when trolling, fishing large lures and spinnerbaitsor when jerkbaiting/using big rubber jigs. I have them loaded with 40 pound braid for normal work and 60/80 for jerkbaits. These are used on rods rated to throw anything from 3/8th of an ounce, right up to 5 oz.

So, to sum up, fixed spools are more frinedly to the lighter type of fishing, whilst multipliers are better suited to the medium/heavy side of out sport.

Hope this helps.

N

Nicky Garbutt

i use a fixed spool reel (a baitrunner) and a 10ft spinning rod for my lure fishing cause i fish small ponds and rivers.
i cast lures 20 to 60 grams and i can cast a long way with this set up.

D

David Will

I agree with Rob.I hear people go on about horrendous tangles especially when braid is loaded on multipliers but this is generally down to the wrong braid or setting the reels up incorrectly.You have to adjust the reel to each lure.There is nothing wrong with fixed spools for heavier lures it is a matter of personal taste but once you've tried multipliers I don't believe you will go back.

G

Gary Knowles

I now use multipliers for all my lure/braid work. I did originally use a fixed spool for the lighter work but I encountered some horrific knots in the braid. I think due to the little bit of slack caused when turning the bail arm over after casting.

Using a mltiplier takes a little practice but like David says if set correctly problems are few and far between and I wouldn't go back to fixed spool now.

Also when fishing tight to snags a multiplier has much more control when casting, thumb pressure on the spool can drop a lure within inches of a snag time after time.

C

Cheese Paste

I thinking of getting the John Wilson sharp shooter and multiplier from Leslies for ?80 plus some bits. Anybody recommend this as a good setup?

N

Nicky Garbutt

has anyone tryed to a multiplier for ultra light fishing im just wondering if anyone has tryed it.

G

graham ashby

scuse my ignorance but i was thinking of having a go at lure fishing , are there any laws and regs regarding spinning etc ??? or is it if u can fish there then u can spin there??

C

Carl Harrison

You will have to check with whoever controls the water if spinning is allowed.

G

Gary Knowles

ABU 6501 or the toothy critter multiplier are both excellent...

R

Rob Brownfield

hmm...the 6501 is a bit big for my hands..i use a 5501 for general lures and 40 pound braid (can cast anything from a shallow shad rap up to a flipper jerkbait) and a 6501 for 80 pound braid and big jerkbaits.

As for the sharp shooter...i have heard the reels are not that great.

Ultralite and multipliers dont mix..not enough weight to spin the spool. I used to have a tiny multiplier loaded with 6 pound line..but it was real hard work..so i now use a fixed spool reel.

G

Gary Knowles

Rob,

I agree, but the reason I went for the 6501 instead of the 5501 is it has a ratchet. Which means you can have an audible alarm should you decide to throw a deadbait off the back of the boat when the lure fishing is slow............

R

Rob Brownfield

Ahhhhh...the good old rachet! :eek:) Very good idea...wish they would stick one on the 5501!

I must have wee hands or something coz I can't cradle the 6501 as well as the smaller 5501. It feels uncomfortable..and I always feel that I dont have enough grip on it.

D

David Will

Gary I have a 5501 C4 which is a high speed model for jerkbaits etc . It has a ratchet(line out alarm in ABU parlance) so it can be used for trolling lures and lives/deads.

R

Ron Clay

For bass fishing I used ABU and Shimano small multipliers for years with a typical American pistol grip rod. For very light lures a fixed spool job is better.

You can get much better accuracy with a a multiplyer than with a fixed spool by the way.