Eel

Philip Willan

Reaction score
Ive only ever caught small eel, only a few onzes, but ive always wanted to cathch a good sized one but know nothing about fishing for them, rigs, bait, swim selection, what time to fish, nothing is there anyone who can help at all?

iveadenuf

Reaction score
Depending on your water, worms on a size 8 or small livebait less than an ounce ive had them on fishy bait for carp as well might want to try nylon hooklenghths i asked about this last year if you dig back a few books were suggested you dont need a heavy rod 1 1/4 lb or strong leger best time is dusk til dawn for the bigger ones and they go like stink

C

Christian Tyroll

Theres some articles you might like to read on here by Warren and Andy. Give me a minute and il find them!

C

Chris Bishop

might want to try nylon hooklenghths

Asking for trouble if there are pike in the water and you're using fish baits.

Philip Willan

Reaction score
Proberly dont know it that well, but its attenborough nature reserve, i cant live bait, agaist the rules and couldnt personal due to ethics.

Ive had a looked, need to read them again to take in more, but they say different things, one says wire only and other says just braid.

There will be pike there, but its a big venue so i was thinking about roving, is that ok?

P

paul williams 2

Philip.....just keep it simple, stick with lobworms and small deadbaits untill you are more experienced.

Any medium carp rod, 12lb line, good running rig, sensitive bobbin set correctly and look for anywhere the eel can find food.......areas where good catches of small fish are made.....fry collecting areas.....rushes close in etc etc.

Eel will pass very close to the bank in most situations so be as silent as possible and don't cast past them.....and if you catch from a swim don't expect that swim to produce again!.......next time move to another, trust me i have spent LOTS of time in the past thinking i had found a great eel swim after making a multiple catch only for the swim to hardly produce again.

Philip Willan

Reaction score
Thanks paul, that really helpful as my dad hooked a good sized oned but it ended getting off and i was considering fishing there although all the backside vegation was cleared, should i avoid fishing swims which has had a lot work carried out like cutting trees down etc? Is it better to go roving for an hour or two or stay in one place? Also would a two rod set up be ok, one with lobworms the other with a deadbait? Would 2lb tc rod be ok? Are they still catchable during the day?

Sorry about all the questions.

P

paul williams 2

Philip.....it's not the bankside vegitation that matters, try to think about what is in the water and whether you think a large eel would nosey around for food there.

Personally i would stay put and get used to your swim during the daylight hours, at least untill you you become more experienced.

2 rods of 2lb tc is a perfect set up, as is lobs on one and deadbait (use halfbaits)one bait or the other may prove the best, only time will show this.

They are catchable during the day but in general your chances are far better as darkness falls and also make sure you have decent baits still on anhour before light and as dawn breaks......these can be very good times.

No problem about "all the questions"!

Other tips......do not use massive hooks, you will cause damage to the eel.....sizes 8,6, and 4 are ample.

holding the eel upside down on a wet mat etc can help to stop them wriggling and aid unhooking.

Pick a warm sultry night for your first session.

Do not try to play the eel, hook it and land it, if it reaches a snag it will die before it gives up it's hold.

Good eeling!

Philip Willan

Reaction score
One rod would be 2lb but the other would be either 1.75 or 2.5lb tc rod, which is better?

So roving isnt a good idea, just means i can sit in comfort.

Whats best to do when using wire trace and the hooks deep, cut the trace? Also if the fish is staged should i just cut the line?

When using deadbaits, whats best, coarse baits or doesnt it matter, as i can get dead small goldfish (2-3") and small sea fish?

P

paul williams 2

I would use the 2.5

If you hook deep then don't go messing about, cut the trace as close as you can....whatever the trace is made of....personally i don't use wire i use a braid that is used for catfish traces....i have landed pike on it too........you may loose the odd pike ( i haven't yet) but hopefully it will soon rid itself of a small single hook.

If a fish is snagged and imovable you will have to decide what is right for the situation......i personally don't like leaving line!

I would always go for fresh coarse deadbaits...of which i would count the goldfish.......sea baits get plenty of unwanted attention from eels when piking but generally speaking they are softer and the eels just break bits off them by taking hold and spinning, .....the are a very strong fish, i once watched one of about 3lb in a shallow swim put it's head under a large rock and turn it over!

Philip Willan

Reaction score
HA, wow must be a really interesting fish to watch. What type of braid do you use then? Ive been told that the fish ive got are quite hard once defrozen but ill have to see. Would i still need to just use half of a 2-3" fish?

P

paul williams 2

I can't rember the type of braid i use for hooklinks it's on the spool up the loft.....it's from one of the carp gear manufacturers....think it's called Rhino off the top of my head.

Experiment with bait size, non of us know all the answers, we can help with the basics and then the session dictates what to try.......i try not to use any frozen baits for eel, i prefer to take them to the water alive and kill them there, or not if i want to try lives (caught from said water!).....but stick with worms and deads untill you get a few sesions under your belt.

Bait and tackle aren't really a problem with fishing for large eel, it's the same old story....location, look at the water, try to think like a eel....they will come out of cover but always like it near by....so if you find lots of food (eg fry) near rushes etc you can bet you will find eel in the right conditions.

Don't think i'm ignoring you if you ask more questions during the week......i am prone to dissapear for a few days.

G

Gary Knowles

Hooklink - Quicksilver (by Kryston) on 25lb or 35lb is fine for eel fishing.

Use a heavy running lead of at least 2.5oz to give a quick indication of a run and strike immediately.

Paul has answered all your other questions perfectly.