Carp Reels?

carp_mad_man

Reaction score
Hello,
I am in desperate need of two new reels thsat would hold at least 275m of 0.35mm line. however ive been finding it tricky to fisnd a decent carp reel whether it be large baitrunner or small big pit style reel for my 5-6 acre carp lake fishing, i have a budget of £70 each and must be suitable for CARP fishing, i.e. quick drag and decent clutch. thanks for any advice on any reels signed off The Carp Mad Man.

richiekelly

Reaction score
it might be a daft question but why must they hold 275m of line when the water you mention is only 5 to 6 acres?

woody

Very Elderly Member
Banned
Reaction score
it might be a daft question but why must they hold 275m of line when the water you mention is only 5 to 6 acres?
I was thinking that and also, who the devil can cast 275 metres with a fixed spool reel?

Hah, unless they're using the South African kite or balloon casting method! Where's Ron, he'll know.

Otherwise try Ray's suggestion, but seems a bit accurate - 275 metres

barbelboi

Reaction score
I was thinking that and also, who the devil can cast 275 metres with a fixed spool reel?

Me too, especially in a 6 acre lake – you’d be fishing the meadows in the next post code.- also are bait boats still in contact with base at 275m? Just curious as I never use them.

dezza

Reaction score
The longest casters with FS reels in SA can only get about 180 metres, and this is using bit pit reels, 25 lb shock leaders and 5 lbs backing.

I have cast 150 metres with such tackle

Mike Wyton

Reaction score
CMM,

Yet again (!) I agree with Ray et al - I would strongly suggest you are going for a 100 yards/metres too much !
Shimano mmm yes , Okuma I do not recommend through personal experience.

I thoroughly recommend Fox for overall brilliance and very very good back-up service.

Tight lines,
Mike W.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Also why a large baitrunner or small big pit reel in a 5 acre pond – I would have thought you could easily cast to the margins opposite with a 5000 and a 1.75 barbel rod;)

cg74

Reaction score
Also why a large baitrunner or small big pit reel in a 5 acre pond – I would have thought you could easily cast to the margins opposite with a 5000 and a 1.75 barbel rod;)

First point, larger spool diameter = reduced line twist, always a plus in my eyes.
Secondly, 5 acres = 20235 m2, which assuming the water is a perfect square = 142m x 142m, so you can cast 140+m with a barbel rod and small baitrunner, a heads-up; most of us mere mortals can't....:p
And what if there are small islands just off the centre of the lake and the fish are showing close to said island, requiring a 85-90m cast, still reckon your tackle choice is best?:rolleyes::D

I'm all for balanced tackle but IMO being under-gunned is far worse than over-gunned.;)

---------- Post added at 11:07 ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 ----------

CMM,

Yet again (!) I agree with Ray et al - I would strongly suggest you are going for a 100 yards/metres too much !
Shimano mmm yes , Okuma I do not recommend through personal experience.

I thoroughly recommend Fox for overall brilliance and very very good back-up service.

Tight lines,
Mike W.

Mike, got to be honest you're first one I've ever known to recommend Fox reels, you ain't sponsored by em are you?:eek:mg::D

"Shimano mmm yes" I agree they're good reliable but sticky/notchy clutches.
Okumas, IMO excellent clutches, longevity maybe slightly less than Shimanos but overall value for money, about best on market!:)

barbelboi

Reaction score
First point, larger spool diameter = reduced line twist, always a plus in my eyes.
Secondly, 5 acres = 20235 m2, which assuming the water is a perfect square = 142m x 142m, so you can cast 140+m with a barbel rod and small baitrunner, a heads-up; most of us mere mortals can't....:p
And what if there are small islands just off the centre of the lake and the fish are showing close to said island, requiring a 85-90m cast, still reckon your tackle choice is best?:rolleyes::D

I'm all for balanced tackle but IMO being under-gunned is far worse than over-gunned.;)

---------- Post added at 11:07 ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 ----------

Totally agree with you on your perfect square of a lake:confused: - even if you showed consideration for other anglers and only stopped short of half way;)

carp_mad_man

Reaction score
can i just say that out of what, nine, posts only person knows what i'm about! and actually, the lakes i am fishing are quite squar'ish lakes. sorry for my specificity, but i don't like having 12lb line on a piddly 2500 shimano baitrunner. and by the way, shimamno and okuma are the same company! thanks for NOBODYS help on Which reel?

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
CMM,

There are many other Carp reels on the Market, you could try a smaller Shimano 6000 or 8000, and most of the posts are saying that you dont need to have that much line or cast that far, 100 yards plus.

Take a look at the Wychwood range also, I only said about the Okuma and Shimano as they feel into your price bracket.

Good Luck

sam vimes

Reaction score
i have a budget of £70 each and must be suitable for CARP fishing, i.e. quick drag and decent clutch. thanks for any advice on any reels.

Any of the Shimano 10000 sized baitrunners that fit your budget will meet your criteria. DL10000.

When it comes to baby or big pit reels things get a little more difficult, most of them with baitrunners or instant drags don't fit your budget.
The Shimano Navi XTA is probably the only one I can think of that fits the bill.

Beaker

Reaction score
I am a Daiwa fan and I would recomend the Emcast evo or the new Crosscast s both are in your budget and are reliable.

quickcedo

Reaction score
thanks for NOBODYS help on Which reel?
The fact is you are asking for an opinion and most peoples will be different. You are asking people to admit they bought a duff reel to save you the expense of buying one to find out if it's suitable. Be nice, and accept some answers won't be exactly what you're looking for and sooner or later the right advice comes along.
You see my advice would be wrong for you having now read what the others have put so I'll refrain. But someone else may fish similar tactics and venues to you.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
could not help noticing that someone says okuma cluches are better than shimano...what a load of b@~#&%£s, shimano manurfacture the best engineered reels in the world and there is nothing out there to touch them.
I have personal experience of okuma reels, and guess what, they went in the bin.

mark

---------- Post added at 07:40 ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 ----------

carp mad,
I do understand where you are coming from in that you like to have a good size spool, but, you need to have balanced tackle! Having a 10000 size baitrunner on a 3lb TC rod will make casting very unstable!

OH, one more thing shimano are defo not part of okuma, shimano would really not like folks saying things like that.

mark

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Daiwa SS2600 - about £80 on fleabay. Brilliant little reels, much smaller and lighter than a 6000 size baitrunner, but with same sized spool and infinitely superior clutch.

They won't give you the extreme casting range of the larger models such as the SS3000 or the 5000T (which are the same reel in different colours) but as these are about £150 each for a good second-hand example, they're a bit outside your budget. Most carpers use reels that are too big anyway, though there's some logic in having one set-up for all waters, even if it is a bit heavy for the smaller lakes.

I use my SS2600s on waters up to about twenty acres with no problem, with spools holding 0.35mm line for close in snaggy swims, and 0.30mm for long distance. 0.35mm line equates to 12lb Pro-Gold or 15lb Maxima, both of which actually break at 15lb!

cg74

Reaction score
could not help noticing that someone says okuma cluches are better than shimano...what a load of b@~#&%£s, shimano manurfacture the best engineered reels in the world and there is nothing out there to touch them.
I have personal experience of okuma reels, and guess what, they went in the bin.

mark

---------- Post added at 07:40 ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 ----------

carp mad,
I do understand where you are coming from in that you like to have a good size spool, but, you need to have balanced tackle! Having a 10000 size baitrunner on a 3lb TC rod will make casting very unstable!

OH, one more thing shimano are defo not part of okuma, shimano would really not like folks saying things like that.

mark

Mark, what you really mean is: In your opinion, "Shimano reels are the best engineered reels in the world" and you believe "there is nothing out there to touch them."
Regards engineering quality, leading to durability and silky smoothness, go try a Penn Slammer, sadly for the thread starter they're to small.
As not only are they better than Shimano's (IMO), they are slightly cheaper too.
So smooth is the clutch on the Penns, you can't disengage the anti-reverse because there's no need to back wind!

IMO the only plus side of Shimano reels is the re-sale value of them, as fools that buy them off flea-bay or classifieds have pushed them that way, mindless fools that know no better.:wh

Out of interest how: "Having a 10000 size baitrunner on a 3lb TC rod will make casting very unstable"??:confused:

Which reel should an angler put on a 3lb test rod?
Which rod is a 10000 sized reel suitable for?

Last edited:

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Mark, what you really mean is: In your opinion, "Shimano reels are the best engineered reels in the world" and you believe "there is nothing out there to touch them."
Regards engineering quality, leading to durability and silky smoothness, go try a Penn Slammer, sadly for the thread starter they're to small.
As not only are they better than Shimano's (IMO), they are slightly cheaper too.
So smooth is the clutch on the Penns, you can't disengage the anti-reverse because there's no need to back wind!

IMO the only plus side of Shimano reels is the re-sale value of them, as fools that buy them off flea-bay or classifieds have pushed them that way, mindless fools that know no better.:wh

Out of interest how: "Having a 10000 size baitrunner on a 3lb TC rod will make casting very unstable"??:confused:

Which reel should an angler put on a 3lb test rod?
Which rod is a 10000 sized reel suitable for?

I wouldn't worry too much about a chap who roundly criticises Okuma reels and suggests a 10000 size baitrunner won't balance a 3lb test rod, when elsewhere he asks how easy is it to use funnelweb pva...

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
miss type, sorry, I meant to say 1 1/2lb test curve. Dont know why I said 3lb!
About shimano, yes, it is my opinion, but it is also alot of other peoples opinion too! I have used many reels in the past and a lot of them where total ****, but shimano have always come out on top for sheer durability, after all they have been making the finest cycle gearing in the world for 80 years!! As for penn, well, never used them but I supose they must be ok as are all things american

---------- Post added at 14:37 ---------- Previous post was at 14:29 ----------

I wouldn't worry too much about a chap who roundly criticises Okuma reels and suggests a 10000 size baitrunner won't balance a 3lb test rod, when elsewhere he asks how easy is it to use funnelweb pva...

people come on this forum to ask questions, I just wanted to know if the funnel web was easy to use! it was a mistake concerning the 3lb tc! and one more thing it is silly and childish to call people on forums!!!