Fishing Lines: Supermarkets get their tackle out

I

Ian Cloke

Fishing Lines: Supermarkets get their tackle out

Tesco have come up with a brilliant ploy to sell more baked beans, ice cream, cheap pizzas and instant meals in their 960 stores. They are opening a fishing section.

Actually, that's not quite accurate. They are dipping a corporate toe in the water by offering a limited range at 70 Tesco Extra stores from Monday. They will sell tackle until August, and then decide whether it is another step in Tesco's plan for world domination or a waste of space.

But the company are not one to put half their annual profits (?2 billion and rising) on a pair of jacks. Behind this seemingly innocent move to supply cheap tackle to the nation's fishermen lurks a fiendish marketing scheme, mark my words.

The bare facts are that if they sell a limited range from next week. This includes 10 floats for ?4.77, a catapult for ?2.96, three spools of line for ?2.87 and an umbrella for ?12.97. The most expensive individual item is a seat box for ?14.87. Freshwater fishing sets (rod, reel, line and a few accessories) cost ?16.97, and a similar junior set is a mere ?10.97.

Tesco claim they are targeting the extra 200,000 people that the Environment Agency say will start fishing over the next decade. But once Tesco realise they can grab a slice of the existing ?2.75bn market too, they are sure to expand their range. This frightens the life out of tackle shops, who fear Tesco's vast buying power will undercut them and drive them out of business.

On the other hand, Tesco are not the first (though they claim to be) supermarket chain to sell fishing tackle. Lidl already offer it, and in the US, the giant Wal-Mart chain offer a huge range.

Personally, I don't think fishing shops have much to fear. After all, I can't see Tesco offering worms or different-coloured maggots - not within several miles of the fresh-food counters, anyway. But they don't need to offer creepy-crawlies to boost their sales. All they need is a range of tackle, a very big store and their existing staff.

I predict that a year from now, if you stroll into a Tesco store at any time of the day or night, you will find dozens of overweight men, generally in camo gear covered with badges, looking increasingly desperate and carrying dozens of things they don't want.

Fishing, you see, has its own strange language. Chat to the average angler and he knows precisely what you're talking about if you ramble on about quiver tips, breakaway leads, boilies, winders and bivvies. But would the average shop assistant?

Can you imagine what would happen if you asked for size 12s? You'd get directed to the shoe department rather than the hook section. A bite indicator? You'd be hauled along to the pharmacy area. Floats? You would find yourself looking at swimming aids in the baby section. And goodness knows what response you would get if you said you wanted a riddle, or asked to see a selection of wagglers.

The bottom line is that you can see hundreds of fishermen who just wanted a few plugs walking out with a new bathroom suite. And the weekly shopping too.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Oh no it won't ......... still says thread deleted

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
It worked when i checked it ED. looks like the gremlins are back.

The thread title was 'Brits Get Hooked'

captain carrott

Reaction score
it works fine if you take the square box off of the end. if you leave it there it doesn't

captain carrott

Reaction score
yeah it does on mine if you make sure it hasn't got a square on the end when you paste it, it ads another one when you do for some reason.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I just got back from Tescos --

I asked the manager to show me his tackle and he barred me and got the security bloke to throw me out

P

Paul Clarke

The little bit of tackle that is now omn sale at my local Tesco's is mostly 'Kingfisher' stuff which i believe is sold in some catalogues and Argos ( ??? ). Not gonna be any kind of threat to any tackle shop TBH

M

mark williams 4

We've been here before decades ago. Remember Winfield, sold in Woolies?

The diff is that Woolies did have the common sense to buy some decent kit and brand it themselves. The fact that it fizzled out after 10 years is testament to the fact that people don't want to have to go somewhere else for bait.

I know that tackle dealers have had some rough justice in the past, with big mail order places getting ridiculous wholesale deals which meant the shops couldn't compete. But I think many have themselves to blame for poor trading.

For example, in America the big shops have a coffe bar and places to exchange information. And they are open on Sunday, the day when people go fishing and want to buy some bait.

One bloke over here in Cambs had a wizard wheeze. Bought a refrigerated milk vending machine which sold Tetrapak cartons and loaded the cartons with maggots. I'm still surprised that idea never took off....and not just for maggot sales.