The World Cup To Date

J

john ledger

In general this has to be one of the best World Cups with some great matches, Argentina, Spain brilliant Ghana also very good with some stunning goals.
England have been absolute dross ponderous predictable and overpaid,yes we have won both matches in typical boring fashion so things can only get better(or can they)Thank the Lord for Rooney our one true superstar
I have never been a Michael Owen fan(never will),spends too much time running around like a headless chicken for my liking. I look at Rooney and see a player who would play the game for nothing just like George Best and Alex Higgings at snooker. I look at Owen and see a cash register on his eyes and how lucky he was that Newcastle paid all that money for him.I know he has been injured but so has Rooney and Lionel Messi.
He will problably prove me wrong and score next game but he will not alter my view he is living on a past reputation and Defoe should have stayed.
Tony Cottee might have got it right when he stated we have players to win the world cup and a manager to loose it(not sure about the winning bit)
Last point ,what about the BBCs appalling commentary team with the very boring Motson and Mick Mac(enough said i rest my case)Question is Mick Mac the voice behind the Churchill advert(give the dog a phone)

njb51

Reaction score
Have to agree John, we had many chances against Trinidad, many of which should have gone in!

When does Crouch become a striker then? Everyone keeps saying he is one but I just can't tell.

C

Christian Tyroll

I love the bloke, apart from his infernial robot dance. It drives me mad.
But is his postion under threat now Roonies back?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Errrm shouldn't this be in bait box ?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
When are we going to see Theo?

If Defoe was on the bench he would have played by now, so why aint that chinless git played Theo yet?

They reckon he is gonna rest players on a card against Sweden, so Crouch can sit on the bench with Gerrard.
It looks like Rooney will start the game with Owen, he should rest Owen and show us what this Theo has got to offer?

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
The biggest problem in that team is Beckham. He doesn't have the pace to play wide. Actually, he doesn't have the pace to play in the middle either, unless you overload the midfield.

But Erikson will always play him.

Has there ever been such an overrated player with close to 100 England caps? And compare if you like, with Glen Hoddle. Hoddle was far more talented yet only achieved half the number of caps Beckham has.

Add to that, he's an appalling captain, more concerned about his own ego then any team ethic. And go within half a yard of him, he will fall over like he's been shot.

He should be playing netball, not football.

C

Christian Tyroll

Steve he better play Crouch and Gerrard ive got them both in my fanyasy football i think lol!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Ric how dare you say that about Beckham!
;-)
Seriously mate, without his crosses we would only have 2 points, instead of six!

I've got Gerrard too Christian, doh!

J

john ledger

Beckam will never be dropped by Sven and why is Downing playing,oh yes because of Maclaren who is another Sven.Big Phil would have got rid of Beckam for sure,think Big Sam would. Crouch just does nothing for me ,neither does Carragher who is never international class although a worker. Hargreaves ,well lost for words.
If England win the world cup i will hang them out in Burtons window

J

john ledger

The job lot Steve(fishing tackle ,shot floats todger)Trouble is it takes me an hour to find it these days.
Back to Owen dont like having a dig at him(well i do) but he is getting money under false pretence and i would not let him carry my holdall

F

Frothey

you'll all be happy if/when england go out, just so you can have another moan......

Beecy

Reaction score
I agree John, some very good games so far and the standard has been a lot better than I expected from the nobodies.

As for England..

Crouch is not up to it at this level.

Beckham has been good and any one who thinks he should not be in the side is not wired up right, he has created 2 out of our 3 goals so far.

Defensively, who can argue with 2 clean sheets - excellent.

Owen will come good, he still knows where the net is and once we get some flowing football going he will prove it.

Ok, so weve not been thrilled yet with the performances but we will get better and the England fans will have to live on sausage & saurkraut for a good while yet.

G

Geoff Cowen

Rooney = Headless chicken with a bad temper!
Owen = Proven striker any team in the World Cup would be playing without a second thought!
Crouch = Not world class but a better player to play along side of Owen than Rooney who plays to deep and does not know how to pass the ball once he get near the goal.

pete proctor

Reaction score
Geoff, your letting your obvious dislike of Rooney spoil your judgement. Hes not a headless chicken but head and shouilders above the rest. your blind if you cant see that and in total disagreement with 90% of the rest of the footballing world.

G

Geoff Cowen

I don't dislike Rooney and I don't think he lacks talent. I just believe he fails to fit in with the team at time. I believe he should be used for the last 30 minutes of a match as he does bring a lot of energy to the team. We will need him later in the competition and to have him break down in the match against Sweden would be daft.
The comment that Owen runs about like a headless chicken did get up my nose. Running into space taking two players with him most of the time or running into goal scoring position isn't the action of said chicken!

J

john ledger

Rooney is our one world class player who puts the fear of god into the opposition.Michael Owen is constantly injured(check is record)and has scored more than his share of goals in useless friendlies,why did Real Madrid let him go.
The word world class is bandied about far too easy and Owen would not get in the Brazil Argentina Italy Dutch Spanish sides.
A world class player and i am talking Maradona Pele Van Basten Ronaldino Best etc put backsides on seats and Wayne Rooney is the one player in the England side that stops me falling to sleep.
I saw the side that won the world cup in 66 and if they had not been playing in England they would never have won,they too where a boring side,its just the way we play we cannot help but be negative.
I sincerely hope Owen scores and England go through but for gods sake if we are going out go with all guns blazing