Fluorocarbon Knots

J

John McLaren

I had some knotty problems with a brand of fluorocarbon line last Friday and after browsing earlier threads I added a message - only to find it is in the game section - hopefully I will get an answer from the more experienced game fishers but, just in case you might have an answer for me and don't normally check out that section, please have a look.

Thank you!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

The Palomar Knot is the best knot to use

I see you were using Berkeley Vanish --A lot of people on here have used it and nearly all reckoned it was crap ..

(if you type Berkeley Vanish in the KEYWORD search box at the top of the page it will bring up a lot of threads where it has been discussed .....)

J

John McLaren

Thanks ED, I actually screwed up on the post by typing "grinner" when I actually meant Palomar!!! Which is the knot I now use most times for hooks and swivels.

I have not had any problems with this line in that respect but clearly when it is tightened onto itself, or another line, as in a water knot it's bs is severely reduced - I would say that it gave at less than 5lb pull.

J

john ledger

Palomar is the best but another good knot to use on a eyed hook is to thread through the eye spread the loop on the shank and whip it 5 times like you are tying a spade,its neat and never pulls.
Do you use the knotless John?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

The thing about the Palomar knot is that ALL parts of the KNOT itself are double line ....

J

John McLaren

THe problem is not with the hook knot but with the knot linking main line and leader. I have not had a hook knot give using this line but my experience with line to line knots was horrendous.

All of the previous threads were some time ago and I wondered if anyone had come up with a solution to this problem - apart from the obvious binning of the "Vanish"

G

Gary Knowles

I wouldn't use Berkely Vanish to hang a picture of the mother in law...

bin it mate...it may be obvious but its the best thing to do...

Y

yoggy

Bugger,i`ve just bought some Berkley Vanish!!,So this is no good then??.Its still in the box and i`ve still got the reciept,should i change it??.

Gary,what would you recommend instead mate?.

B

Budgie Burgess

"Berkley Vanish" how aptley named! I can see it becoming as much a sucsess as the "Whiplash" braid...........

JOHN GOLLAND

Reaction score
I had TWO pike on the same cast at Eyebrook reservoir last month.The first,on the top dropper,was netted and estimated to weigh 6 pounds at least.The second got away and looked about 4 pounds.
The cast was made up of 6 pound b.s.Berkley Transition Fluorocarbon !!.
I now use no other for reservoir fishing,as this doesn't let me down.In the past,Airflow fluoro at 10 pounds b.s.HAS lost me numerous trout.

G

Gary Knowles

Yoggi - a definite yes. its totally unreliable.

The best I used for the last few years was ashima, but I havent seen it in the shops for ages. For light hooklengths i now use PReston innovation Grand Match and for higher breaking strain I have been using a 'trial' flouro by kryston that is (I think) due out soon and performing very well.

Y

yoggy

Don`t worry lads I did eventually change it!!!..Thanks Gary better late than never!!

I now use Krysonite!!!!