Drennan Matchpro Ultralite 13'

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Hi

Does anyone have one of the subject rods? Would they be any good for fishing on commercials if a large carp took hold of the hook?

I was well impressed when I handled one as it felt really well balanced but I've made errors before when buying rods and not done the research beforehand.

Many thanks

dezza

Reaction score
This is a wonderful rod for roach fishing with lines from 2 to 3 lbs. I have had one for a few months now and I would recommend it to anyone.

But not for carp.

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Gosh that was quick.

Would the Matchpro float be a better bet then? I've just seen on the Drennan site that it can handle 5lb line

The carp I'm likely to encounter would be the nuclear powered 6-8lb commons.

Dave Slater

Reaction score
I have two Drennan float rods which I use for all of my float fishing. I have a 13' Ultralite and a 14' Matchpro.
The Ultralite is a lovely rod to use. I mainly use it for crucians and roach, but have caught tench to over 8lb and carp to mid doubles on it. I has handled these very well and I have had no problems landing them.
The Matchpro is is also lovely to use but has a bit more power. I use this rod on the river or when fishing for tench, bream or carp on stillwaters. I have caught carp to almost 20lb on this rod and have had no problem at all landing them. I think this may be the better option for your requirements, but if you also fish for smaller species then why not get both rods.

Nathan Walter

Reaction score
I have a 14ft Matchpro Ultralight. I bought it for roach, dace and grayling. Its a pleasure to use and perfect for the role it was intended. Easy to hold all day whilst trotting. However it handles decent fish very well. I've had quite a few barbel to over 10lbs on it and numerous good tench and crucians. A highly recommended rod.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I see this so often people worrying about rods being undergunned.
If you are fishing a commercial (which normally don't have any snags) the matchpro rod would not break if you hooked an 8lb carp, your terminal tackle would break first. If you use the drag on your reel properly it may take a bit longer to land the fish but the rod will be fine..........

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Maybe so but that doesn't make it a good choice for that sort of fishing. And haviong a carp charging around for ages on a rod that's not really up to it on light line is no good for me or the carp. Its not necessary nor is it fair on the fish.

Dave Slater

Reaction score
S-Kippy
Although I generally use 4lb line with my Matchpro I have used 6lb line on occasions and landed reasonably large carp to almost 20lb, sometimes fished for delibarately, on it without having to play them for too long. I think this rod would be fine for your requirements.
I generally use 3lb line with my Ultralite as I think this balances up well with the rod. Although I have caught large tench and fairly large carp on htis set up by accident I think this is better suited to roach, crucians etc. It is a lovely rod but I agree it would not be ideal for carp.
I honestly do not think you would be disappointed with the Matchpro for float fishing for carp. as long as it is balanced with the right strength line.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Dave

I agree entirely.This is a wonderful rod but best suited to the smaller species. I'd be confident of landing a lump on this if one came along but if I was expecting lumps then it wouldn't be my first choice.I've other rods that are better suited.

But if Andy's expecting lumps then the Matchpro is a better choice than the Ultralite IMO. And its far too nice a rod to waste on carp anyway ! Its a proper fishing rod.

Skippy