The Madusa Rig.

• Thread starter BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester
  • Start date
B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

I'm not sure if this belongs or warrants a place on this section of the forum but.....

Does anybody know of the Madusa Rig made by sewing maggots through a stainless steel ring?

Which was the first to come into usage, the rig with the stainlesss steel ring or the rig simply by glueing maggots onto a cork ball?
I have allways known the cork ball method simply by the pop up maggot rig. Not a Madusa.

B

I think I'll stick to cork balls in future, it's far less trouble (o

captain carrott

Reaction score
he won't let it lie, no he will not let it lie.
he's got a right bee up his miniskirt about this one i'll tell you.

B

I do know the origins of the named rig Graham.
The link you have put up does say "<u>Generally</u>" used by glueing maggots to a cork ball.

I am questioning that the cork ball is an offshoot of the original Medusa rig.

Surely somebody must know.

I

Ian Cloke

Or could you be on about this method Baz??

Take a length of 1lb mono, using a sewing needle thread 10/20 maggots onto the line, thread on a couple of bits of rig foam (fake maggots if your a tackle tart), thread another 10/20 maggots on and tie to a hair rigged d-ring. Tying it onto the d-ring makes the same nice little ball that you get with the "proper" medusa rig but no glue and much quicker.

B

No Ian mate, I am not on about the maggot rings or clips as they are better known. They are the third and most recent offshoot of the original Medusa Rig.

Milo

Reaction score
I know the method you're thinking of, Ian. One question, how difficult is it to thread the maggots onto the line without bursting them? I'm thinking of the eye of the needle being wider than the body.

B

That is the original one Ian. And it was used before the cork ball.

Milo

Reaction score
Would they stick to a particle fixer like Kryston Bogey?

B

Not difficult at all Milo. And the maggots do not burst.

Milo

Reaction score
Next time I'm out, I'll give it a go. I've got some in my tackle box...

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

The cork ball came first ....back in the early seventies ....

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Ang on a cotton pickin minute, you said the cork ball was an offshoot of the original method, hence the thread!

He's finally gone and lost it completely, his next trick is to disappear up his a..e and emerge as a butterfly I bet!

B

Graham.
I implore you, please leave me with some dignity. I was wrong and tried to weedle my way out of it.

On second thoughts, it could have been the name only that was pinched from the ss ring rig. Heheheeeeee, hehehee, hehe.

I am almost certain that there was something very similar though. But who am I to argue amongst friends?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Baz always listens to reason from reasonable people ...Don't you Baz ?