My old Mitchell 410A

D

Dave O'L

I have a Mitchell 410A, my pride & joy, my 1st reel after the old Intrepid Extra. My problem is do I keep using it or do I retire it to the great shelf on the wall, with the Intrepids & that fly reel?
For: It's my most structurally & mechanically sound reel, my other fresh water reels are OK but all ?30 free subscription offer DAM's etc.
Against: It doesn't have a skirt & line is really keen to slip down the back, often at the worst of times. The bail also revolves in 'the wrong direction' which now I'm used to the others can get me confused when trying to make small adjustments, bobbins etc.

I hate not using things that still work. Am I being sentimental, should I just relearn how to use, or am I making an excuse to buy an 'Okkywhatsist' reel.
Any advice on what to do, please?

N

Nicky Garbutt

get the new reel youl enjoy fishing more cause it will stop the line slipping.

P

Peter Morton

I was in much the same position with a Mitchell Match,After much humming and harring i bit the bullet and treated myself to a new Shimano Stradic 3000GTM,What a difference!Money well spent and no regrets.
The Match still gets the odd airing tho,just for old times sake.
Peter.

R

Richard Drayson

Takes me back to the days when I used a Mitchell 300 Dave! A good reel 30 years ago but compared to todays reels, well quite honestly there is no comparison.
Relegate it to the bottom of the drawer Dave and treat yourself to a Shimano or daiwa.

D

Dave O'L

Shout a little louder lads the missus may hear you!
I'm thinking of the Okuma Coronado bait runner in a 40/50 size as I don't think I can stretch to a Shimano or Daiwa. I have a birthday coming up & want a rod as well??? (Greedy boy)!

F

Fred Bonney

Talking of bottom drawers,I decided to look in mine from the days before I discovered wine(beer)women and song(the rock bands down the Plough & Harrow,Leytonstone)the late sixties.I expected to find my old Intrepid Monarch and my Mitchell 300 or my old split cane with a fibre glass top section,could it have been a Dawson?,probably at my mums,I hope.
Still had my 410,is it that old,a Grice&Young Avon Royal Supreme,my Edgar Sealey Black Arrow,a Bruce & Walker MK1V, compound taper(whatever that is),which i've reserected for Barble fishing(oops) and my first roach pole a 12ft Lerc spiraglas!As well as a couple of old centre pins with no names ,one wood & brass and one bakelite both of which I inherited in the very early sixties.The memories of my first experiences are re kindled.What about yours

R

Ron Clay

It's quite funny, I still see a few anglers struggling with old Mitchell 300s, 410s et al.

They were the best around in their day but these days we have such excellent reels as the Shimano GTMs etc.

I saw and angler on the Severn lose a very big barbel some years ago. The Clutch on his 300 sounded like sandpaper on stone.

D

Dave O'L

Thanks, you have all managed to help me deal with the guilt. The 410A has now applied for retirement which has been granted.
Farewell old (nearly)trusty friend!