A knotting question

A

Andy Davis

Join braid & Fluro...braid in the main line, but I want to try and use a Flurocarbon leader

A

Andrew Thomas

Don't use braid mainline myself but use both braid and fluorocarbon as hooklengths. I've had no problem using a 5 turn grinner to a swivel....however, fluorocarbon does need to be well lubricated and tightened very carefully and slowly in my experience.

J

John Walker

hi andy, whats purpose of joining the 2 lines 7 for what species

A

Andy Davis

It's for carp...mostly...fluro will be a leader, it's not essential it's just something I wanted to try, I know I could join the two with a small rig ring, but i don't think that will pass thtough the rod eyes

D

Dave O'L

I may be wrong but I think I read that sea anglers who use braid use the double grinner?

S

Stuart Bullard

Andy, now I am no expert, but braid and fluro tied together sounds a "harsh" combination. It depeneds on your rod as well, but if you really want to try the two together I would have thought you need something in the set up that gives a bit of stretch, like a couple of feet of powergum link, otherwise you may risk bumping fish off. I would just use swivels, but I am sure someone like Rik, Barney et al would have a more enlightend view.

L

Lewis Murawski

just get the 2 together and use (4 or 6 turn water knot) and simply place a bit of superglue on the knot and you will have no problems, i am a match angler and sometimes use mono shock leaders when fishing at distance with braid mainlines, and this works fine, its just braid is not very good at tightening at knots.Another trick is to leave the tags over an inch long, this will make them less brittle (such as the hairs on a paint brush=shoter they are the stiffer they are), and this will enable the knot to pass freely through the rod ring with no trouble at all.

D

David Will

Chaps if you are joining two lengths of line please think about fish safety.If a break occurs above the join in the two lines can your lead slide off safely.For this reason joining lines using swivels or rings is a bit dodgy if the fluro in this instance is going to be a leader.Grinner knot is the one to use.Safety clips , leger beads etc will pass over this.

C

Carp Angler

Andy,
double grinners will be fine.

There are other knots about but they are more complicated and offer no extra strength or security.

A

Andy Davis

Thanks for all the advice chaps, so do I glue the know as well or not ?

A

Andy Davis

Thanks for all the advice chaps, so do I glue the knot as well or not ?

(sorry, fingers and brain not working together)

S

Stuart Bullard

Rik, forgive me for being persistent, but Andy's original post was about joining a fluro hooklength to a main line braid. Is this really a sensible combination? I speak as relative novice to these things, but I had assumed through reading various articles (now) that joining a braid direct to a fluro would provide bugger all "give" in the whole set up.

I did once use braid main line but this was on rivers, using a quiver, and I really suffered. It was very early in my fishing education, and on two successive fishing evenings I hooked into two big barbel and had two hook pulls close to the net. I have absolutely no doubt that a major part of this was due to the fact that I had not been fishing very long and didn't really know how to play these fish properly. This resulted in me stopping fishing for any big fish immediately and then trying to learn the ropes.

I am still learning, but looking back on it I do not think I would use this combination again. I have now felt the power of carp and barbel (modest fish to your standrards)but I will never forget seeing those two big barbel close to my net and then........

I guess I just feel that I was "suckered" into the marketing hype at the time. But is it a good combination??

C

Carp Angler

Stuart,

persistence...a good attribute in an angler.
What Andy asked, was about joining braided mainline to a flouro leader (e.g. 20ft of 20lb flouro) this would act as a buffer and be less visable than braid.

Hooklengths would be another thing altogether.
His rods are superb for braid straight thru (I know!!) but he wants to start with some sort of safety buffer.

A

Andy Davis

Wow...didn't think such a simple question would generate so many answers and questions !!!

They are excellent rods and have been fine with braid straight thru, but I wanted to try with a fluro leader as Rik surgested for the visablity issue.

C

Chris Bishop

Double grinner should be fine, it just needs a couple of extra turns on the braid to make it lock off safe.

I'd try to make sure the braid and mono are more or less same dia. I realise this could be a problem if you're using one of the super-duper low-dia braids.