I Don't Normally do Things Like This

S

Sean Meeghan

This year I decided to avoid opening day and the following weekend rush. I was persuaded by my mate Mick to make a flying visit to the Don with him on Monday afternoon, but I blanked.

Tuesday was to be the real start to my Barbel season and Mick and I paid a visit to the river Swale. The river was in a dour mood, but whilst rolling some meat I saw a decent barbel flash in a swim that I knew had early season form. I got my gear and settled down in the swim, feeding some moistened pellets and crushed boilies.

I hooked a what I think was a really good Chub after about half an hour, but pulled out of it. Then I hooked a decent Barbel but snapped on the hook knot trying to stop it reaching a near-by bush (memo to self need to be sure your palomar knot is perfect every time!). I fed a bit more, replaced the fluorocarbon hook length with 12 lb braid, rested the swim for half an hour then recast.

A delicate 4 ft twitch resulted in me being attached to what felt like a decent Barbel. During the ensuing epic battle (Mick had time to hear my shout, wind in, and walk 200 yards down the bank) the fish grew in size with every minute. By the time it was in the net I was saying a big 'nine', Mick was saying twelve plus (my brain was still refusing to accept the size of this fish!). The scales' verdict was 11lb 8oz.

The fish was caught on a bright afternoon in a 2 ft deep swim with a high flood bank with no cover for an approaching angler. The clear area that I fished was bordered on one side by a bush and on the other by a bed of streamer weed. The moral of this tale is that flashing fish are feeding fish and that with careful presentation and adequate tackle they can be caught.

What a start to the season!

I AM SOOOOO CHUFFED!!!!!!

T

Tony Rocca

Well done Sean. A great start, many folks will never catch a Yorkshire double.

G

Geoff Cowen

Well done Seam, my first day started with a blank as usual. But your catch gives me hope for the season.

J

Jim Hinchley

Brilliant swale fish sean.

I will be popping over to yorkshire in the next few weeks to fish the swale and nidd but can only dream of a fish of that calibre.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Great fish Sean.Those who know the Swale will really understand the pleasure of that capture.

S

Sean Meeghan

Thanks all - still got a big grin plastered all over my face!

The boat trip is on 10 July Eddie. I've booked on Supreme 2 out of Rhyl.

Deanos

Reaction score
Sean, please post how your season develops with the barbel.

It would be great if you could post an article or articles on ?barbel basics?
for the novices (like myself).
Much has changed since I last fished, it would give me some confidence and a bit of direction.
The bigger rivers, Trent and Thames etc are mentioned often, your advice and guidance regarding the Yorkshire rivers would be appreciated by many I am sure.
A brilliant fish, and big bit of inspiration for me.

S

Sean Meeghan

Thanks Deanos and ****y.

Deanos I'll see what I can do and if Graham likes it you'll see it soon. Not sure what the Yorkshiremen will think of a Lancastrian writing an article on their rivers though!

Sgt Bash

Reaction score
Congratulations Sean, thats a cracking looking Barbel, I wish you the best of luck for the rest of the season.

Jon Bedford

Reaction score
Awesome fish Sean,
Barbel like that up here are few and far between. Going to the swale soon and that picture has truly wettend my appetite!
Well done.

F

Fred Bonney

Smashing fish Sean,just back from a few days in the Lake District, earning house points,the urge is there even more after seeing your fish.

B

Bob Watson

Nice one Sean, at last! your Swale double, I wish I was there to weigh it for you, it would have just made 10 ;-)

I'll be chasing you now to better my own (beat yours) ;-)

Chuffed for you mate!!

S

Sean Meeghan

Took a long time coming didn't it Bob! Hope they're like London buses. Drop me an email and we'll have a Barbel session sometime.

B

Bob Watson

Will do Sean.

I might have a look down the Swale myself tomorrow, there's a couple of Leeds stretches I want to check out.