Help with flurocarbon

richiekelly

Reaction score
i have been looking for a flurocarbon to use as a hooklength for my barbel fishing this coming season, i dont belive the most of the blurb put out by manufacturers and would prefer to go on advice from anglers that have used a particular product, the fluro needs to be limp and fairly abrasion resistent with good knot strength, if there is any out there that you have used what would you reccomend.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I've used Airflo Platinum G3 extensively over the past few seasons and it is excellent for everything except hook and hold situations. Like all low diameter lines of any type knots aren't as shock resitant as full fat lines.

I usually use it when fishing in swims where I'm worried about abrasion on my usual braid hook lengths and it works really well. The 10lb is around the same (stated) diameter as normal 6lb line and the breaking strain seems accurate in that the only time I've had a knot go was when I had to clamp down on a big fish that had already generated a good head of steam.

Personally, I only feel happy using fluoro in certain circumstances, preferring to use braid in most situations, but this is a personal preference and I've had no real problems with reliability.

Reaction score
Incognito by Kryston.

Look no further.

Yes, definitely.

A couple of important points to note though:

1. Always use either a Palomar knot or a half blood knot. NEVER use a grinner knot (or other strangulation knots).
2. The 9lb is actually the same strength as the 11lb - so the if you are looking for a breaking strain in this region the lower diameter 9lb is always first choice. If you need a bit extra abrasion resistance the n go for the 11lb.

However, in very snaggy swims (and at night) I tend to go for a good coated braid such as Kryston Jackal or Mantis.

richiekelly

Reaction score
thanks for the replies chaps,looks like its incognito then.

looked at the korda website this morning and it says about its fluro "this line is very thin for its diameter" mmmm!

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've tried a few different fluros over the years and always keep coming back to bog standard Drennan stuff. It isn't the finest diameter or limpest out there but it is as reliable a fluro as I've used.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Incognito is the only one I would even consider. I've used various brands for years when I'm trouting but Incognito is the only one I'd use for coarse fishing. This stuff is awesome though not the thinnest .Terrific knot strength provided you use the right knot.

chav professor

Reaction score
there is no doughting flouro is LESS visible in certain conditions - but does it make a real difference?

I am always a bit concerned about using flouro because I have had bad experiences in the past (possibly poor knotting - my fault......) Flouro Is denser and maybe presents the bait better as it is stiffer. Always favour braid for barbel but as I am so inexperenced with this species - I'll try some incognito and see how it goes.

Am I reading this right - the 9lb stuff is the one to go for??

barbelboi

Reaction score
there is no doughting flouro is LESS visible in certain conditions - but does it make a real difference?

I am always a bit concerned about using flouro because I have had bad experiences in the past (possibly poor knotting - my fault......) Flouro Is denser and maybe presents the bait better as it is stiffer. Always favour braid for barbel but as I am so inexperenced with this species - I'll try some incognito and see how it goes.

Am I reading this right - the 9lb stuff is the one to go for??

IMO If using flouro yes in most conditions - with the length about 4' long

S-Kippy

Reaction score
For barbel I would say so. I use the 7 and 5 for trout and I've yet to be broken on either despite some thumpng smash takes and fish to over 10lb.

And that with a standard 2 dropper/3 fly set up which is a fair few knots. This is good gear.

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I always remember an angler guesting on Tight lines stated he felt that if big wary fish brush up against something they can't see they spook whereas mono or braid which (maybe) they can see will not bother them?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
I've heard that too. The main reason I use it for trout fishing is that it sinks easily unlike mono which tends to float. Until I tried Incognito I wasn't happy with the knot strength in a coarse fishing application but this stuff's knot strength is exceptionally good. Its the only one I'd even consider using for barbel.

How abrasion resistant it is I couldn't say but from the first day I tried it I liked it and its all I use for my trouting now. Not terribly fine diameter but the trout seem to care not one jot.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I always remember an angler guesting on Tight lines stated he felt that if big wary fish brush up against something they can't see they spook whereas mono or braid which (maybe) they can see will not bother them?

Interesting comment Peter. Were they actually talking about the hook link (flouro sinks well and hugs the bottom) or a main line that hasn’t been back leaded? The other issue is if manufacturers weren't unduly bothered if fish might see the line why is there so much effort put into camouflaging braid to different conditions and making mono as ‘invisible’ as possible. Just a thought.

I believe that line coming down from the surface would probably always spook fish if they touched it whether they could see it or not. This being from a float or lead/other depending what species you are fishing for. IMO tench will often feed almost vertically (especially in silty conditions) and undoubtably come into contact with the line if fishing to depth or just over. If floating for them I will often go over depth by some ten inches and use the lift method to get round this.

chav professor

Reaction score
I like the idea that it is probably less visible, stiffer and less likely to tangle and that it is denser. I look forward to giving incognito a go....

I doubt wether flouro is really as 'invisible' as manufacturers want us to believe in anything other than laboratory conditions (same refreactive index as pure water - real water has dissolved minerals and microscopic particles in suspension).

It is great for slack lining tactics for carp fishing. the best mainline I have come across and use regularly is x-line. it does appear to be tough as old boots at 12lb. when i have had to pull for a break it has a tendency to snap anywhere other than the usual weak spots at the knots.

I was chatting to an angler in the tackle shop and he was claiming that sunlight can 'hit' flouro line and travel down the entire length lighting the line up as it lays along the lake bed - akin to a piece of optic fibre sharing a similar property of total internal reflection......... seems unlikely to me - anyone else heard anything similar?

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
Keep your hooklength fairly long. Both Lee Swords and myself favour long fluorocarbon "Incognito" hook lengths. Sometimes I use hooklengths over 1 metre in length.

I have used the 9lb stuff and the 12 lb stuff in the past. It depends where I have been fishing. There are very rocky places on the Trent where a hooked barbel will head for. If you don't stop them you will then feel that horrid grating on your line to be followed by a breakage.

I am sure a fluorocarbon hooklength is of advantage in daylight conditions and I am fairly well convinced that it's weight also helps.

Remember that over the years, fluorocarbon has recieved a bad reputation it doesn't deserve, mainly because people have misused it, tied the wrong knots, but most of all there has been some awful fluorocarbons around. Good fluorocarbon will help you catch fish; poor fluorocarbon will not.

dezza

Reaction score
Oh and something else, and I have learned this from fly fishing.

Make sure that the whole of the fluorocarbon hooklength is under the water. If not, it is possible that the fluorocarbon might channel the light underwater, especially in sunlight, scaring all the fish in the vicinity. This is why I am loath to use fluorocarbon as a full line. Using fluorocarbon as a hooklength is fine.

richiekelly

Reaction score
invisible probably not but i belive it is less visable than mono and certainly braid and any small advantage from fluro makes it worth using, i will be getting some incognito as reccomended it seems to be the best of the bunch.