Why does a lake suddenly "switch off"?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

I'm sure most of us at some point either experienced or been told that a venue had been fishing poorly of late - but why?

A venue can bee fishing "it's head off" for a few weeks then the sport suddenly dies off - and it's not one species - that might be down to spawning but not all fish species spawn at the same time.

my own thoughts are a sudden growth of nature foods, blood worm ect that the fish are eating so not taking anglers baits.

I'm I totally off the mark?

What your views?

richiekelly

Reaction score
wish i knew the answer to that one if i did then i would know when lakes were going to switch on and change venues accordingly,my local lake opened at the start of may and fished poorly, 3 weeks later and its back to normal,one thing was that it had an easterly on it for 2 weeks since the wind changed the fishing has got better.

beerweasel

Reaction score
"When the wind is from the west the fish bite best,
when the wind is from the east the fish bite least"
Its all down to the weather, if you keep weather records you might see
a pattern.

Dave Slater

Reaction score
I think wind direction and air pressure may have something to do with it.........

I fully agree. Sometimes other factors come into play, such as temperature, but I think wind direction and air pressure are the main considerations. I have also noticed increased angling pressure sometimes has an adverse effect.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Re conditions

Sudden changes in water temperature will put fish down for a time but not, for weeks at a time. Spawning will see a decrease in feeding activity but, not to that extent. Regarding wind and other conditions this might interest you. (Home - anglingfor.co.uk)

Regarding conditions these are changing all the time and whatever they are they will always suit one species more than another so, there will at least suit one or maybe two species at any given time that are the most likely to feed. The extent of this will be varied of course. In the middle of winter with a high pressure, bright sun, clear water fishing will be hard but, even then there would be at least one species that will be more likely to feed , probably roach or chub.

Low pressure is better than high pressure but, is it that high pressure usually has bright sun, low rain and clear water conditions or is it actually the high pressure?

One interesting point is that high pressures occur more in the winter months than summer and they can last for longer periods. I checked this out with the metorlogical office in Devon. So, as fish are less active during the winter months this will have an influence on any records kept over a long period that will show high pressures produce less fish.

Last edited:

richiekelly

Reaction score
it must be something that is water specific and we will probably never know what it is im glad to say.

beerweasel

Reaction score
All of it? Aw well then fishing should be dead easy then. I'll just lick my finger, stick it out the front door and hey presto, I'll never blank again.

More or less "yes", plus as I jokingly said earlier "Time of the Month" (as in moon phase). It don't think it's spawning as I've had plenty of laden fish, as for a liked finger, I'll stick to the barometer.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Re: conditions

Sorry I think this post has come out twice; not sure what i did wrong----Sudden changes in water temperature will put fish down for a time but not, for weeks at a time. Spawning will see a decrease in feeding activity but, not to that extent. Regarding wind and other conditions this might interest you. http://www.anglingfor.co.uk/

Regarding conditions these are changing all the time and whatever they are they will always suit one species more than another so, there will at least suit one or maybe two species at any given time that are the most likely to feed. The extent of this will be varied of course. In the middle of winter with a high pressure, bright sun, clear water fishing will be hard but, even then there would be at least one species that will be more likely to feed , probably roach or chub.

Low pressure is better than high pressure but, is it that high pressure usually has bright sun, low rain and clear water conditions or is it actually the high pressure?

One interesting point is that high pressures occur more in the winter months than summer and they can last for longer periods. I checked this out with the metorlogical office in Devon. So, as fish are less active during the winter months this will have an influence on any records kept over a long period that will show high pressures produce less fish.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Re: conditions

It will be down to a combination of a plethora of different variables.

Wind speed & direction, air pressure, temperature, lake depth and size, angling pressure (what the fish have 'learned'), time of year, light levels, availability of natural food sources, etc...

On any given water each of these factors will play a role to a greater or lesser degree, making one answer to the question impossible due to the infinite number of potential combinations.

Remember chaos theory described by Jeff Goldblum's character in Jurassic Park?

YouTube - ‪Dr. Dr. Ian Malcolm's, ahh, Chaos Theory‬‏

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I get there are many varibles that cannot be accounted for including someones dog had jumped in before you got to your swim. What I do cannot account for everything But, I always think there are conditions that have a direct influence on a fishes environment and then secondary things. Water temperature, water colour and light penetration are the only main things that directly influence a fishes world. These are obviously affected by lots of other things but these three are the main "conditions".

andreagrispi

Reaction score
I think there are a whole load of factors which have an influence.

It amazes me when a lake will just suddenly start fishing in the middle of the day, with obvious change in temperature; wind; light levels. Anglers will start catching all over the place.

I can understand it when light levels fall - but I can't explain why it occurs in the middle of the day.

What about occasions when you just know the fish will start feeding or when you will get a bite.

Also, when you know which swim to fish and which area of the swim - even more amazing when the swim is on a featureless lake.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I think most of us experience that sixth sense feeling when you just know a bite is going to occur. I can be half falling asleep and something wakes me up and I suddenly become very alert and this is often followed by a bite. As has been said which I agree with and my research/experience and your experience backs up; even quite small changes in conditions can switch fish on or switch them off as the case may be. My experiments try to pin down what those triggers are and more importently for me anyway which species. When a lake suddenly starts to fish well, I bet it is only for one or sometimes two species but, mainly one. Am I right in this?

Regarding the amount of variables you can thin it down a bit. For example I divide air and water temperatures into 9 ranges for the purposes of research.
33-37f 38-42f 43-48f 49-54f 55-60f 61-65f 66-70f 71-75f 76+f
Weather is-- sun, sun/cloud/ overcast, rain, as another example.
Anyone thinking of keeping logs/diaries I would advise this is not a bad thing to do ie. keep it simple. I have never been pedantic about it and just try to use these records to get a broad/balanced view of the conditions and which species they should suit best. A lot cannot be accounted for true but, getting the main conditions in there and finding out what each individual temperature range, weather pattern etc suits which species is interesting and can be put to good use.

Last edited: