fishery bait bans

jamie_moe

Reaction score
hi i am jamie and i was just wondering what people's thaughts are on fishery bait bans and why they have them?

quickcedo

Reaction score
Hi Jamie, imo baits are banned for two reasons. Fish/lake safety and economics. Most safety bans are put in place due to stupid practices by anglers, ie feeding 5 tins of meat etc etc. imagin how many tins go in when the lake sees 40 anglers a day. Result, meat is banned to save the fish. Conversely some commercials only allow their own bait to be used, which can only be down to economics.

barbelboi

Reaction score
hi i am jamie and i was just wondering what people's thaughts are on fishery bait bans and why they have them?

Hi Jamie
Can’t really see the problem with ‘bait bans’. In many instances the owners of the fishery are using them to ‘in their opinion’ protect their assets – misguided or not. Therefore if everyone adheres to these rules then everyone is on an equal footing (apart from the experience/local knowledge issue which will be relevant in any circumstances, bait ban or not).
The other option is if people don’t like it they can always go somewhere else.:)

BarryC

Reaction score
The commercials that only allow there own baits could be down to economics. Could also be that they know whats going in the water. ie no unprepared nuts or hemp no high oil pellets etc.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with bait bans, and know one water where you can't use floating baits while the ducks have young chicks around. The lake is in a public park, and the ban came about as an angler caught a young chick while floating crust for the Carp.

Many waters ban Nuts as they are not always cooked correctly by some anglers.

On the Nut note, Alfie will soon be banned from these waters......:D

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'm not that bothered by bait bans though I do get the slight hump when I can only use bait bought on the fishery. That is blatant footpaddery IMO and nothing more.

What bothers me more is Mark's point about shedloads of bait going in & lying stale on the bottom. Some waters just cannot take this & feeding properly [how often & how much] is IMO a great skill and the mark of a very good angler.

I'm not aggresive enough when I feed...I know this....but I was brought up on canals where too much feed could kill your swim stone dead. Learned behaviour which I've never really shaken off. Its probably the one single aspect of this fishing lark that I wish I was better at.

jamie_moe

Reaction score
i fully understand the case with baits such as meat and particles but i fished the old carp lake (Toptab Themeset) at Llyn Y Gors which has a verry good stock of large carp and other small fish and they had a ban on sweetcorn which i dont understand at all, especialy with the lake being rather large and so well stocked.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Many waters ban Nuts as they are not always cooked correctly by some anglers.

On the Nut note, Alfie will soon be banned from these waters......:D

Some of my local waters have banned the use of tiger nuts for the simple reason that brain dead anglers were using/dumping uncooked nuts. As we know they need to be prepared properly when used as carp bait. In its raw state the nut swells when it takes on water and this can lead to problems if the fish digest the raw nuts leading to discomfort or even death. Possibly many of these bait bans originate from the actions of stupid anglers.

And Alfie,did you hear about the new drink called "The Vasectomy"?
Its Dry Sack on the Rocks.
I didn't make it up!!:eek:mg:

chav professor

Reaction score
live bait bans:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Pathetic to the extreme.

our club banned them - pike anglers made representations against the motion - but it was rediculous. depleting fish stocks, transfer of lives (despite no such evidence), public perception on the practice, 'chucking' specimen sized fish out to 'suffer' (fish don't feel pain) - all these quotes or similar were used. but IMO it all comes down to bigotry and misunderstandings and alienated a branch of the sport. Very devisive..............

rains

Reaction score
I feel most places that say you have to use there bait are just simply cashing in the only problam i have with banned baits would be live baiting

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
A local 'commercial' banned sweetcorn as loose feed, although it can be used on the hook, reason being he suffered massive Bream losses, and after investigation it was determined that the Bream were'nt digesting the sweetcorn and it 'blocked' their digestive system.

barbelboi

Reaction score
A local 'commercial' banned sweetcorn as loose feed, although it can be used on the hook, reason being he suffered massive Bream losses, and after investigation it was determined that the Bream were'nt digesting the sweetcorn and it 'blocked' their digestive system.

Good point Merv
Bearing in mind that Carp don’t have a stomach :confused::confused::confused::confused:

I’ve edited this as it could look a bit ambiguous – IMO as carp do not have a stomach they cannot digest all foods efficiently. They might eat bread and sweet corn, but it is difficult for them to digest them. Fibre, especially grass and alfalfa meal, is important as it allows the intestine to grip the food and keep it moving. Worms, insect larvae and fresh vegetable matter are only partly digested and serve as roughage to keep the intestine active and healthy.

Last edited:

chav professor

Reaction score
ban livebaiting and you may as well ban fishing :mad:

Never understood boilie bans???

That is my point exactly Danny - general public don't care and even those that do would not differentiate between a fish placed on a hook for bait or luring a fish onto a hook with a maggot.... Its exactly the same thing.

Check out the statement on the Angling Trust website. If your club is thinking of introducing a live bait ban - there guidance would be very supportive. But IMO if a ban is proposed you may as well be p!ssing in the wind - because reason does not come into it sadly.......

barbelboi

Reaction score
As the use of coarse fish (live or dead) for bait is legal throughout England except for some lakes in Cumbria, IMO the views of certain clubs/club officials vision may well be tunnelled in respect of the nature of predator fishing, after all we are not talking about a commercial, and all anglers are known to them. To be fair there are many anglers who, for whatever reason, only use lures or dead bait to good effect - freedom of choice. The other way of looking at it is that most waters local to me do not have a ban and I would assume that this pattern is similar throughout the country. I am fortunate as my club does not have any ban on bait, live or other.:)