New to river fishing

Sam Morris

Reaction score
Hi all,
Firstly, i've never fished a river before and want to give it a go with the feeder, i was wondering if anybody could reccommend any good stretches of the river don/other rivers in the Doncaster area. Also if anybody could please give me some advice on a good rod and any other things i may need as i've only ever really used the pole.

Secondly, i'm going to mablethorpe (near skegness) and would love to fish go river fishing as a break from the commercial i'll be fishing whilst i'm away.

Thanks alot,
Sam.

T

Terry D

Sam, try contacting a coach to show you the ropes first. There's plenty to choose from, just look at:
allthingspiscatorial.com
nfadirect.com
paauk.com
Failing that try someone in your local fishing club, starting with the Match Sec.

C

Chris Bishop

Sam,

Lots of guys in that area, notably Ron, Matt and the rest of the DVSG lot - sure one of them would have a couple of hours somewhere with you.

Plenty of articles on the basics on here, have a look in the features section, try doing a search on river fishing.

Good luck.... CB

Sam Morris

Reaction score
Thanks alot you guys i'll have a look at the things you've said :).

Sam.

Sam Morris

Reaction score
I know i could take the pole, but i want to try feeder fishing...i want to fish rivers so i can relax a bit more whilst i'm fishing and enjoy more natural surroundings...and holding a pole isn't the best way to relax in my eyes...neither is a commercial fishery (as much as i love them when i want to bag up). I'm not trying to bad mouth pole fishing or commercial fishery's because i've fished commercials with the pole for 9 years...but i want to relax on a river and try a new style of fishing.

Thanks alot,
Sam.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

If you want to relax. Take up Carp fishing. Rivers can be a lot of work. But then again it all depends what you want out of river fishing.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Good luck Sam, you will definately relax on a river bank. I relaxed for eight hours on the bank today, carbelling. My arms feel fine, I didn't strain them at all.....

Seriously mate it is great, get in touch with the DVSG boys, come along to the Trent fish-in (July 15th-16th) at Collingham if you can make it.

I too will not knock commercials, rivers win everytime.

Steve.