camping advice

Reaction score
Hope this does not sound a stupid question. Going camping next week. There is a chance of a thunderstorm. As we all know carbon atracts lightening. what precautions can I take. Should I keep rods outside of tent. ?? Any info regarding this subject would be helpfull. Not very expierienced only been couple of times. Thanks in anticipation. Trevor.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Look for a piece of ground with a slight fall in it to pitch your tent. So you don't wake up in a pool of water. The rods should be okay inside.

T

Terry D

Don't fish whilst the lightning is very close, best to reel in as you don't want to be picking up a lightning conductor when a fish bites just as the storm's overhead. And don't take cover next to a tree.

matt

Reaction score
When lightening approaches go outside pick up a carbon in each hand and run round in circles shouting 'c'mon you liverlilie'd sap sucker catch me if you can'.
May not do your health any good but will certainly get the blood pumping.

S

Steve King

Whilst your camping I doubt if your broken-down rods would attract a lightning strike if they were in your tent. However if you are that worried store them in car.

B

Bob Watson

you're safe from lightning in the car, I saw an experiment.........

C

Cakey

ive seen loads bob but its a different matter when its "LIVE" i.e. in an experiment the strike travels down the out side of the car ,when its live any "hole" and its in the car i.e.window open ,door handles ,sun roof etc

Reaction score
Thanks for comments guys. The only thing is I wont have a car anyway. Misses needs it for work. I have to take things over in car then come back for motorbike. Lucky its only about half hour away. If I get the drift, as long as rods/pole is broken down and in holdall in tent I should be ok. Matt the only time I will be running round is if I catch anything. With my luck I will be as still as a statue, but you never know lady luck may be with me. Anyway thanks to everyone. Trev.