Pike flies...

M

mark williams 4

I want to give the pike a go with fly this summer, and I'm assembling all the necessary for pike fly tying. I've got some polar fibre, which I'm assured is the dogs, and some 2/0 stainless aberdeens (big enough?) but now I'm stuck.
Question one: How do you dye polar fibre? I have some permanent marker pens, but they seem to matt the fibre. Is there a better way? Do I just need polar in every colour?
Question two: How do I use the polar fibre - presumably just cut it close to the fabric and bind it on. Anything else I need to know?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Mark,

I would look at the Dylon range of dyes you can get from decent pharmacies. I have used these dyes on and off for over 40 years, ever since Richard Walker recommended them for dying nylon mono and fly lines in "Drop Me A Line" written in 1950.

I have not used Polar Fibre, but I would imagine that tying it onto the hook is similar to tying on a hair wing.

M

mark williams 4

Yes, I've been on the website but the crucial 'Fly Tying' section doesn't load properly, so I can't read it.

Colin has taken the trouble to drop me a line, though. Basically, he suggests dumping the polar fibre and buying something twice as expensive. Dammit.

Colin Brett

Reaction score
"Yes, I've been on the website but the crucial 'Fly Tying' section doesn't load properly, so I can't read it."

Sorry about that Mark, you should have said it wasn't working.
I've no idea what's happened to those pages. It looks like a session with the fly vice and camera is needed again.

EP fibres are the business, but Rabbit or Mink gives far more movement.
Try making your flies smaller with Rabbit or Mink, they will carry less water.
The pike won't mind either.

Colin