Treble Hooks

• Thread starter The Seeker of Truth & Justice
  • Start date
T

The Seeker of Truth & Justice

Something else i'm going to try this winter is pike fishing. i'm confused about hooks. some experienced pike anglers advise big trebles and some say small ones, even when using the same size bait.

surely it's a case of big trebles for big baits like in any other sort of fishing. or is there more to it than that?

R

Rob Brownfield

Naturally, u match the hooks to the bait size...however, different manufacturers have different size hooks...even though they are "the same size".

For baits up to 6 inches I use size 8 trebles, 6-9 inches, size 6 and bigger I use size 4.

If I am trolling a deadbait I up the hooks one size on each bait.

What I would suggest though is to look at the Partridge "Doubles" that are available. They can be used in smaller sizes and hook up every time...brilient things. I use them for most of my fishing now. The trebles are used, but i tend to fish 2 rods with doubles, and one with trebles.

C

Chris Bishop

4, 6 and 8 are all you need with live and deadbaits.

Go for a good strong one like Kamasan or Partrigde.

T

The Seeker of Truth & Justice

Thanks for the help lads. i'm clearer now. still talking about hooks, i read somewhere that you shouldn't use more than two trebles, but if you have to strike straight away lkike most pikers recomend wouldn't three be better? specially if your using a big bait.

P

Paul Williams

Cyril,
Stick with the sizes the lads said in a two hook set up, use sensible sized baits and hit the runs quickly, you won't have too much trouble hooking the pike and hopefully you won't deep hook either.

R

Rob Brownfield

if u want a very good hooking arramgement, get on the partridge Vic Bellars douples. Nick one in the root of the tail and one about an inch behind the gills. Because the doubles stand clear of the bait, they seem to hook up EVERY time...and I strick very quick. Its usually hooked in the scissors...

P

Paul Williams

Rob,
I have to say that i missed fish the one and only time i tried them so i
binned em, perhaps i didn't give them a fair trial?.....funnily enough i was in a decent local tackle shop the other day when a guy asked for them, they didn't have any, are they still available?

R

Rob Brownfield

Harris sell them mail order...

strange that i drop fish on trebles, yet get them in on doubles..lol

C

Chris Bishop

Cyril - get either the PAC piking Beyond 2000 book, or Dave Batten's Introduction to Pike Fishing. Both cover tyypes of hooks, traces, hooking baits safely etc etc.

All these multi-hook rigs were big in the 1970s but people soon abandoned them as they damaged the fish and didn't improve hook-ups.

Good bite indication and prompt striking are the key. Get that bit right and you'll never look back.

G

Gary Knowles

Rob,

Erics two big Blithfield fish (37.08 and 41.08) both fell to a single hook (not a treble) as did my 21lber.

I still use a large single hook in preference to a treble when lip hooking small livebaits. 9 times out of 10 the hook sets firmly in the scissors and I can't remember ever dropping a fish on this rig.

A big single on smallish baits definitely seems to take a better hold than a treble or trebles.

R

Rob Brownfield

Gary...totally agree with u. When I used to livebait on the river Lea at fishers green...it was always witha size 4 Jack Hilton carp hook....worked wonders. On the one occasion I had a deep hooked fish, it was soooo easy to remove the single.

i think trebles are a bit over used in modern piking.

I paternoster deadbaits a fait bit...and i place a size 4 or 2 single through the back, and a double in the pectoral fin. Works well for me.

G

Gary Knowles

Rob,

By the way, the coasters worked a treat last weekend - cheers !