reels,

C

Christian Tyroll

Hi all as you know im looking for a new reel.

But im not sure which one to pick. I will be using it for feeder fishing on the Thames and Possibly on the Tring resevoirs, if not this season definatly next year.

So out of these 2 reels which one do you reckon would be more up to the job for chucking out large feeders?
Aero 5000
http://www.harrisonstackle.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Reels_121.html

or
Super gtm 4000
http://www.harrisonstackle.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Shimano_25.html

Or is not neccesary to use such a large reel as the 5000?
Thanks,

Christian

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Personally I would go for the first one. It should be up to the job.
I use a 50010 at times, and that isn't too big either. I don't like the shiny stuff.

S

Sean Meeghan

Personally I agree with Baz. The Aero is a more versatile reel as it has a baitrunner. And its much cheaper. However, the Stradic is an absolutley superb reel and if you can stretch to the money it is well worth it and will last you a lifetime. In real life its not as shiny as the picture makes it look. A 4000 size reel is better suited to light and medium feeder fishing, but not at twice the price! Take a look at some of the smaller Shimanos and possibly the Okumas.

T

Terry D

I have a few of the Shimano Twinpower reels in the 4000 size and I've found them to be a superb all-round reel that can tackle most situations. Have a look at these and the GTM RA's etc and choose any that you can afford in the 4000 size. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd agree with both of the above, the Aero is far more versatile.

I have a few 5000's and they have been excellent in service for quite a few years. I have used them for heavy feeder work, river Barbel fishing and even light bolt rig fishing for Carp as well.

Shimano have a good record for servicing and they do tend to keep spare parts for many years after the models have been taken out of prodiction.

That said, my favorite reel for medium to heavy feeder fishing is still the old Daiwa TD 1650's (I have 5 of them) and they are as good toady as when I bought them. You might take a look on eBay from time to time as they sometimes appear on there and would be a lot cheaper than a new Shimano.

C

Christian Tyroll

Cheers everyone i reckon i will go for the Aero! But if theres anyone who thinks otherwise, for a very good reason i may be swayed.

njb51

Reaction score
The aero's are fantastic, although, so too are the GTM's.

Have a look on ebay, i picked up a 'brand new' aero gte 6000b for ?45 including delivery.

Joskin

Reaction score
I have both Christian and I always use the GTM2500 for light to medium feeder work the GTM4000 for medium to heavy work and and only get the 5000 baitrunner out for Heavy method and bagging waggler work as it is a bit to big and heavy when matched to a relatively light feeder rod but find it perfect when coupled to a heavy porky pig or 1.5lbtc Carp rod.

What rod will you be using the reel with?

C

Christian Tyroll

Would use it with my 1.5lb or a 1.75lb rod so should be a good match?

captain carrott

Reaction score
just get yerself a 5010 baitrunner, unless i'm mistaken the reel will be on rod rests for the vast majority of the time so the weight doesn't matter.

1) it has a bait runner, not only usefull as a bait runner but also usefull for setting the quiver ttip to the exact place you want it.

2) it's the more robust reel so will last longer.

3) it's what i always use for feeder fishing on the thames and will handle anything in there.

C

Christian Tyroll

Cheers for the opinions i will ordering one later, ?53 including p@p.
Its not one of the new shiny ones with the double handle but i reckon i like the duller colurs more, not sure why.

stikflote

Reaction score
Why is it everyone thinks a shimano reel is the best, whats wrong with diawa reels for instance, i have owned a shimano sedonna 400 it was nothing special just a reel,.I think its just hyper advertising, like my last motor bike a harley davidson super advertising but the bikes not very good at all, I no longer own any shimano reels

C

Christian Tyroll

stikflote ive never had one just hear lots of good reviews and they do look the bizz aswell.

stikflote

Reaction score
my diawa,s look the bizz as well, and ive never had one break it seems to be an obsession to have a shimano.IN my opinion any good reels all do the same job

Y

yoggy

I agree that advertising etc all plays its part but the fact is that Shimano reels are arguably the best reel.I have Diawa,Okuma Abu and Shimano reels.They all are super reels but Shimano has just the edge as far as the internal mechanics go.So in theory if you look after them they should last longer.A friend of mine who is a fully skilled industrial engineer took 3 well known branded reels completely apart and in his view Shimano just had the edge.

Y

yoggy

Oh..and in my view the best reel ever produced is the Shimano Stradic.

Just a shame they didn`t do it in black!!

captain carrott

Reaction score
stikflote
if i can't break a reel in 15 years of using it then it is a good reel that will last.

the only manufacturer i've had reels last that long from are shimano and i've used quite a few different makes.