Method fishing

smiffy

Reaction score
Hi Bob,
Nic e artical on Method fishing,
I use it alot when carp fishing, especially if I have an Island in front of me.
As you say in your report, watch your tip, only today mine went off at a rate of Knotts across the lake.
My friend was on hand to retreave it, minus the fish.

I use the same method mix and a two inch, six pound hook length to a 12 hook. Main line 10lb inside the flat plastic method feeder with a platic cover swivel.

Hook feed either pellet or corn as Bob Nudd surgest,s in his video.

Tony Hyland 2

Reaction score
went fishing today at barston lakes tryed the method not a bite,tryed the feeder,still not a bit,tryed short and long hooks lenths,still no bites,went on the pole,and caught just 4 skimmers,it was a club match.8lb won the match.so much 4 the method fishing etc etc.it was a bad day,any of you lot have a better day,if so how, need help, still trying to catch my first double

smiffy

Reaction score
Method mainly used up against an island or far bank. There are many feeds for the method ie.Cat food, store ready method feed,
soaked and moulded pellet, you have to try many to find what the fish are eating.

I also start with two to three inch hook length, 3lb breaking strain and go up if fish breaking the line.

Be patient it will come good and alternate between Tip. pole and rod.
Many days are bad but when you get that one good day the rest are forgotten.
Tight Lines

Yacko

Reaction score
"I also start with two to three inch hook length, 3lb breaking strain and go up if fish breaking the line." Thats a bit light isn't it smiffy? I have had breaks with low test short hooklinks, snapped on the take I mean.
Short hooklink and semi-fixed to a 1oz method means a big shock on the pick up?
Yacko

smiffy

Reaction score
I also am under the impression that some called Bob did the artical on Method fishing?????

smiffy

Reaction score
Mark I do appologies it's been a long week,
Im getting things mixed up but it was still aggod article.
Sorry for the blunder MARK
Malcolm (smiffy)

smiffy

Reaction score
Message should say Appologies Mark, regards smiffy.

People play fish different but the lighter the tacke, seem to catch more fish, Yacko.
regards
smiffy

smiffy

Reaction score
I did, it's nice sometimes to know you are doing what other fishermen are doing.
The pole is my next adventure I was taught by Ian Heaps to tye a piece of fly line to my elastic with a knott on the end to afix me line

nicky

Reaction score
Just getting used to fishing the method, the other day i had a shoal of small carp attacking the method feeder almost as soon as it hit the water, took an hour or two before they really come on the feed.
Only thing i only managed to connect with four of them although i had more bites.
When should you strike, I was getting loads of vibrations on the tip which i guessed were the fish attacking the ball, some short sharp twitches which i presumbed were line bites, I only struck when the tip whacked right round or got pulled in.

Am I making a mistake or should I also be striking at the small tugs as with a normal feeder it's just that i've heard you should sit your hands with the method untill you get a wack around bite.

smiffy

Reaction score
No your doing correct,that's how the method works.
The sharp twitches are the fish either catching your line or pulling at your bait,
just wait till it goes round or hang on to your rod if you know there are very large carp in the lake.
The large carp move in on the smaller one's when the small ones become frantic and course a commotion.
regards
Malcolm.
Ps. remember to set your drag so line can go out if a Big Carp does hit. Then slow tighten your drag.

nicky

Reaction score
Cheers smiffy.

Bye the way what size hooks do you prefer to use.
1. for corn
2. for maggots
3. for worm

I used size 12 the other day and was alternating between corn and big bunches of maggots.

smiffy

Reaction score
depends mainly size 12, sweet corn on or if I have pellet on I use 16 or18 eyed tied by me as some shop ones come undone.

Corn summer size 12.
Corn Winter I use 14/18

Maggot summer 14
maggot winter 18/20
Worm dependes on worm size:
Summer size 12 / 10
winter 16/14
Worm is cut at end to bleed and red maggot to finish (Cocktail)
winter or summer this get Carp Bream and large Perch.
Good luck
Smiffy

nicky

Reaction score
cheers smiffy

I have been using worm tipped with a rubber red maggot lately, helps keep the worm on the hook and in the unlikely event that it still comes off your still left with a bait

smiffy

Reaction score
Fair enough do what you feel comfortable with.
It's a good idea to try out different methods and baits so when you start to enter competitions you could have the edge to win over other anglers.
Good luck and tight lines. Smiffy