sink`n`draw

T

Tomo(B.A'S)

whats the best bait 4 this type of fishing and any hints or tips...
hope you all could help lads thanks

Dave German

Reaction score
Smelt Roach or Eel, had fish on the middle section of eel, came through the water like a bit of branch, got nailed just the same (several times)

M

mark williams 4

Try messing around with buoyancy, too, especially on waters with a layer of blanket weed on the bootom. Stuff the bait with a bit of balsa dowel (just enough to make a floater) and shot the trace just enough to sink.

You can then go for a really slow retrieve without getting hooked in the muck, and stop now and then for a minute or two. You often get takes the moment the bait moves again.

I used to think it mattere whether the bait was hooked to travel headfirst or tail first, but I don't these days. Headfirst is good, but if your baits keep flying off on the cast, try tail first (or tail section only!).

The advantage of head first is that 1) it looks more natural 2) more importantly, because the fins are facing the 'right' way it doesn't get snagged so badly.

If fishing baits in reverse, trim the fins off, or down.

Sink and draw is fabulous fun and massive productive. It encourages you to move around (do so stealthily because a lot of takes will come at your feet as you begin the final 'draw') and it nails fish in difficult conditions.

I'd always go for braid for this style. The sensitivity will pay dividends when the pike are a bit cagey.

M

mark williams 4

And for a journalist, the typing in that post was carp...!!

B

Budgie Burgess

Why bother with the balsa Mark.A roach has enough natural bouyancy in its swim bladder to achieve the same.

Obviously roach are my favourite for sink and draw allthough any silver freshwater dead will do.I dont rate sea deads for wobbling as all the "silver" ones are too soft for my liking.

Trout are nice and tough and my mate does ok using my ex lives but at the right size they tend to go dark once kept for a while and I do prefer the nice flash of silver.

M

mark williams 4

Coarse fish usually float, but sometimes (especially if they have been stored in a heap) the weight of two trebles, trace and s swivel will sink them.

Also, I do use sea deads for sink and draw, (and occasionally rubber shads)and I don't have too much trouble with them. It's the only situation in which I think sprats are any good, and the addition of a laccy band round the tail of a sardine makes it usable.

I mainly fish Fen drains and rivers, so long casting isn't often involved. They do fall off from time to time but they're cheap enough.

boz

Reaction score
try adding a spinner blade,not only does this improve the bait visually but (especially in coloured water)adds vibration.

B

Budgie Burgess

Even though as Mark says you can mount soft sea baits with elastic bands/shearing elastic etc the other problem with them being so soft is thst the impact of hitting the water causes them to split.If they gave any advantage then the extra time spent mounting and replacing them would be worth while.Ive just never found this to be so.

Adding a spinner blade (or some reccomend ruber skirts also)is another thing I havnt found to make a difference.Quite possibley though this is down to the way I fish a wobbled deadbait.Rather than fishing it like an artificial I tend to fish it extremely slowly with periods of total in activity.In fact this is the very reason I would choose this method over artificials in some situations.At this point I should mention that some devotees of plastic shad baits claim static pick ups to.I personally have more confidence in the real thing.

I personally think the wobbled dead bait is the most under used method in modern piking.

A

Andrew Macfarlane

Trout, Perch, Lamprey and Eel will cast all day long.

Adam Martin 3

Reaction score
Wobbling deads on the itchen and avon is fab, more often than not you can stalk them and drop it on the nose.

Had a twenty last year, followed the bait right in under the rod tip, stopped reeling then, bang all hell broke loose, rainbows in the five inch range best.

gilesy

Reaction score
went today on river nidd "yorkshire" had a good morning,but also lost a few by not hooking up once they had taken. what size trebles do most use ? i was on size 8 foxs

Adam Martin 3

Reaction score
This year im using owner stingers size 6 but have used eagle claws with 2 barbs crushed in size 4 for a couple of years.

When im stalking quite often Pike will siddle up to a bait and just hold it around the middle. hook ups are improved by using smaller baits upto 4-5" and using flexible traces ie drennan Fox carbo flex is a complete no no for some reason. Its probilly too thick and springy.Try the same fish an hour later with drennan and it will work ??

Kevin Lewis

Reaction score
ONE OF THE BEST BAITS IVE USED IS ROACH. IF ITS FRESH AND YOU FREZZE IT, MAKE SURE YOU PUNTURE THE SWIM BLADDER FIRST.