Night Fishing

T

Taffy Jones

I'm thinking of doing a bit of night fishing for barbel and I know this might seem to some of you a daft querry but how does the 'night light' for the rod tip work.
I've bought what looks like an adaptor that you clip onto the rod tip but where do I go from there?
Told you it was a dopey question!!

stikflote

Reaction score
if you got what i think you hav ,then the starlights fit in the cli pon end of rod,
tho i think most anglers fishing overnight, use alarms a lot of the time

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Taffy, Starlites or other chemical lights have to be broken and they last a few hours.

I use the Drennan Isotopes as they last for years and work out cheaper. (Don't vreak those!). They aren't as bright but they come with all the adaptors to fit a wide range of rods.

I fit two lights to each rod. One as close to the tip as possible and one about 18" back down the rod.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Give the starlight a good shaking before you break/bend it to activate the chemicals inside.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Baz you have to shake it after breaking. to mix the chemicals.

I use the Drennan isotopes bright enough and always attached to my rod. On my avons i only use one 2 on quivers.

captain carrott

Reaction score
it's best to use 2 isotopes on all of them for the simple reason it helps stop them swimming, once they start swimming about in your vision if you look if the tip one is moving in relation to the back one it's a bite if they are both moving together either the barbel has just pulled your rod in or it's not a bite.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
When Barbel fishing i never stare at the tips all night. No need the reel tells me when i have a bite from the big girls. Chub knocks i ignore anyway. So never really sufer from the swimming effect.

Thouggh i have suffered this when trotting the river in late evening. Turn to the bank and it is flowing downstream very un nerving at times.

captain carrott

Reaction score
"Turn to the bank and it is flowing downstream very un nerving at times."

this happened to me as well once, i promptyly fell over and got soaked.