All round brand

Wayne T

Reaction score
I am soon hoping to upgrade all of my equipment and was hoping to buy(almost) everything, from rods and reels to luggage and clothing from one brand name. I've been looking at most of the brands about and can't decide which to go for. If you were to buy all of your fishing equipment from one brand name, what would that brand be and why ?

E

EC

To answer your question I would have once said shimano, now I am not so sure!

Why would you want everything from the same brand mate? You'll get better quality and value for money by shopping around and being more open minded with different brands especially some of the new brands on the market!

Wayne T

Reaction score
Eddie, I think its due to my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder! Its actually quite a difficult task to find one brand to cover everything from light ledgering/floatfishing to carping! I've no doubt that you're right about being more open minded though. Perhaps you could apply this to your taste in crisps ?!!!
I was also wondering whether there are any purely British brands around that produce both quality reels and rods?

Plumbit

Reaction score
Got to agree with Eddie on this one.
All comes down to the best you can afford i suppose, but why all the same brand?

Variety is the spice of life.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
You might get a better deal buying different brands -selecting the brand for each item you buy on merit- but from one dealer/tackleshop.

I'm sure if you told the tackleshop owner what you was in the market for and asked for advice - if you're buying all your new gear in one shop at one time then ask for a discount.

Don't be worried about asking for dicount and if you are refused try somewhere - tell the shop owner how much you wish to spend and you might get a few extra bits thrown in

W

Woody (AKA Cheeky Monkey & Jay Dubya)

I must have an OCD too. My wife says I'm obsessed with buying tackle, if I see something I like I feel a compulsion to buy it, and then finding somewhere to keep it creates so much disorder in the household.

That apart, remember such famous sayings as -
Horses for courses
-&-
Don't put all of your eggs in one basket.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Woody
A case of see it - buy it - find a need for it!

Sounds like me

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Never buy all your equipment from one brand name. No single manufacturer of fishing tackle has to perfect answer in terms of tackle for every angling situation.

If I look at the tackle I possess it must be spread amongst 20 brand names I guess.

W

Wag

Drennan?

although I can't imagine why you would want everything from one maker, I would guess Drennan and Shimano are the most consistent performers across the ranges.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Wayne
What style of fishing are you into - might help people give recomendations

Wayne T

Reaction score
I'm an all rounder Paul - rivers, lakes, carping, ledgering, floatfishing.... Everything apart from Piking really!
I was just hoping to simplify an upgrade to all of my existing equipment by looking at only one decent brand but it looks as if the best approach would be to spend time looking at reviews and different shops...
Unless anyone is completely bored out of their skull and can be bothered to give their personal recommendations for the best in the market (including value for money)for the following...!!
Carp rods/reels
Heavy feeder rod/best matched reel
Avon rod/best matched reel
Barbel rod/best matched reel
Chair
Rod Holdall
Carryall
Clothing.
!!!!!
By the way Woody, please please don't don't make make jokes jokes about about OCD OCD, it's it's a a serious serious condition condition. :)

T

Terry D

'Tackle tart' springs to mind.
Whilst most of my reels are from Shimano, the majority of my rods are from Daiwa. But I have rods from Berkley, Fox, Drennan, MAP etc and I would never get rid of them. Thge same with reels, a couple of ABUs and an Adcock Stanton pin, just can't get the same from the mainstream manufacturers. All have their uses as some manufacturers do not have an equivalent that fits the bill so to speak.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Ask Peter Jacobs.

He is the ultimate "Tackle Tart"

:eek:)

Wayne T

Reaction score
I'm not looking for the most expensive equipment on the market, or equipment with the brand name in 20ft high lettering. Rather than continually replacing reels and rods bought at the cheaper end of the market, as I have been over the past few years, I have decided to invest in some longer lasting equipment that performs well whatever its price or brand.

E

EC

Carp rods/reels. Rods are personal I'd say, and reels there's new makes and models out almost daily it seems, shimano reels have done me and others ok but many anglers like the new-ish okumas, they are cheaper and some have a 5 year guarantee.

Chub, barbel, avon rods are very personal mate but for a reel I'd say the shimano stradic gtm takes some beating as a good general purpose fishing reel for most species.

Chair, wychwoods are light and good vfm.

Rod Holdall wychwood quivers are worth a look if its a match type holdall as with the carryall there's lots to good value luggage sets to choose from.

Clothing, for value and quality I'd say Sundridge by a mile!

Don't forget to have a look at the tackle review section on the site, and make sure you add yours when you've spent your wad!

Wayne T

Reaction score
Thanks Eddie, you're bored then ???
I always like to write out a quick review straight after blowing my wad.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"He is the ultimate "Tackle Tart"

Cheeky s*d!

Still, as you asked; it is a really personal choice based not only on availability, disposable income and tradition but also on (as Jeff so rightly says) 'horses for courses'

[bloody heck, now I'm agreeing with Woody - must get out more]

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Wayne

I have a cheap carp rod 2lb tc from used tackle cause I don't carp fish much 6 times a year top so I can't comment.

Avon rods - I have masterline John Wilson 1 1/4tc and can recommend it to any one

Barbel rod - Agian I can recommend the john Wilson 1 3/4 tc good rod and it will handle commercial pond carp easy as well as rivers for barbel

clothing - plenty of good makes - look for decent zip - these are the first to go on cheap gear

reels - shimano every time. okumas second choice

seating - depends on if you want to stay put or like to rove about weight being the factor there.

Drennan for float ,quiver rods if you can afford them.

Like I said earlier - set your self a budget, make a list and shop around for a discount