Pop-ups

T

The Piker

Has anybody used pop-ups for barbel...

And was it a sucess,carp love them.

But do barbel????........

Reaction score
Stuart,

I'm going for my first barbel session of the season on the Lower Severn next week.

I intend using critically balanced baits snowman-style on one rod. I think the added movement may help entice bites... I'll let you know how it goes.

D

Dave Burr

I think some of the posters on here read 'pop-up' books!

However, pop-ups are less effective in a current as the water pressure will tend to sink the bait so you will not get the added visibilty that you would on a still water. But critically balanced baits can make a big difference to the number of takes you get particularly when the fish have had a bit of pressure.

Be warned, when the barbel take a bait that is lighter than they expect they take it well down the throat and this can lead to deep hooking or bite offs.

Its a bit like you picking up something you expect to be heavy and it flying up over your head as you put too much muscle power behing it, the barbel put too much suck and the bait flies in.

Perhaps a shorter hook length should be considered.

T

The Piker

Cheers ****y,and good fishing mate.

Some good points Dave...

Reaction score
Well, that was inconclusive to say the least!

I fished two short sessions over the past two days on a new-ish stretch below Worcester.

First time out (12.30-4pm and 8-10pm)1 bite, 1 short,plump barbel about 4lb to conventional boilie rig.

Today fished (11-4pm) same stretch, two fish. One to conventional boilie (about 5lb), one to critically balanced (7lb 2oz).

I was using 12lb Daiwa Sensor mainline to 10lb Maxima hooklink between 2 and 4ft. Leads were free running grippas between 1.75 and 3oz (there was a lot of extra flow on first time out).

Boilies were 15mm Source and Source pop-up.
I fished the balanced baits so that they were still boilie shaped, matching the freebies, rather than true snowman-style.

There was a slight difference in the critically balanced take. There were two distinct twitches before the wrap-around. The conventional boilies produced conventional takes...

Looks like more research is needed...

E

EC

When fishing the upper severn in the late 90s I regularly used to use cheap frozen sausages from tesco's etc.

Anyway once cooked, they floated, but we still caught regularly using them!

T

The Piker

I can see no reasons against popping up baits...

And if popped up only about an inch,could be a winner on certain days....

B

Bully

Pop ups and critically balanced for Barbel? Sorry, dont see it. I think you are trying to get too technical for no reason.

Reaction score
It's those long close season nights Stuart, the lack of river makes me go peculiar ;-)

My theory (don't laugh) was that the added movement of a critically balanced bait may entice a feeding barbel to select my hookbait.

My reasoning was that a flutter of a fin or tail sends the bait moving away from the fish and induces them to a take?

Might be nonsense but I thought I'd experiment to find out...

Gary Newman

Reaction score
I've been fishing the Thames in an area with some big barbel. There are also some good carp in the stretch so I've been putting a rod out for them as well, fishing fluoro white pop-ups about 2 in. off the bottom.
The other night i caught three barbel, with two of them falling to the carp set-up (pop-up).
Saying that though, there is very little flow on the river at the moment and i wouldn't be happy using them on a river like the Ouse, for example, but this does show that they work for barbel.