Calcutta Tackle

• Thread starter ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)
  • Start date
E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

With a name like that --Is it just cheap imported gear made in a sweat shop in India???

Matthew Keating

Reaction score
Apparently they're part of a really big distributor who've got into selling their own gear- by picking and choosing the best products that they've been distributing from the big brands, and making their own versions. We'll try and get hold of some examples for Graham to review so we can let everyone know...

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

It just seems a strange name --
Hardly one I would have chosen would you???

Matthew Keating

Reaction score
fair point, but don't ask me, I'd just come out with some nonsense about the detachment of symbols from their meanings being a symptom of living in these post-modern times!

Another example: what on Earth does the word 'Stratos' have to do with fishing?? The world's being taken over by marketing blokes with a penchant for coming up with silly brand names... argh!!

I suppose the proof is in the pudding- is the tackle any good? Graham will enlighten us soon... ;-)

I

Ian Cloke

If it is cheap gear, made in a sweat shop, LOOK how much they are charging for it!!

A

Angler Saxon

I expect they'll come up with a carp rod called "Kali the Destroyer". Or a comfy seat called the "Hindu Cushty".

Never mind, I'll get my dhoti.

B

Budgie Burgess

Just had a look.......wot a load of old toot! bloomin expensive toot at that!

"Pirate in the blood...Fishing in the soul"

I wont say "Feck off" as this is a family site but please!

Jim O'D

Reaction score
Hi I'm part of the company responsible for importing Calcutta into the UK.

Firstly the logo and name was owned by another big US tackle company and our parent company purchased it from them because of its looks.

The gear is far from cheap imported junk. Calcutta is owned by the world largest tackle distributor based in the US. These guys worked out which products were the world?s best sellers, and then remade them using none other than the best manufacturers. There has been a world wide explosion in recent years of tackle manufacturers ripping each others products and making cheaper, useless versions just to spin a buck. Calcutta is different. They re design and make better versions.

Our lures are made by storm in china
Our braid is made my spectre in the US. Spectre makes POWER PRO
Our glasses are from the Delmar factory.
Our mono, clothing, other lures and tackle accessories all come from the best manufacturers.

Our tools are from India.

You won?t find anything Calcutta made in England as England doesn't make much anymore!

As for pricing. Yes it is high but as mentioned, the products aren't cheap junk. Usually cheap defines rubbish, expensive defines quality.

Graham has ample gear to test and I have no doubts he'll be impressed

Matthew Keating

Reaction score
Thanks for your input Jim- helps set the record straight as you do get the odd person forming opinions without having anything to base them on! Nature of forums unfortunately... Graham will be reviewing the gear in the near future.

B

Budgie Burgess

Sorry Jim Ive been buying tackle,designing/making tackle,selling and using it for a long time nothing I saw on the sight impressed me.

There has been no better time that I can remember to buy well designed,reasonable quality tackle at such low prices as today.

I think that if you have such a large manufacturing and design base behind you you could have made a much better bid to try and capture part of the market.Who advised you on the range? as I think very little of it will be of much interest to the British market.If you do well then just disregard me as another "internet know it all"! if not give your present adviser the boot and give me a call.Good luck,I think you will need it!