Barbel newbie

A

Adrian Bartle

I have only just started targeting Barbel, I have had two short evening sessions on the Kennet lost 2, landed 2 @ 5lb & 8lb 12oz. I'd like to ask a couple of questions, the tip was 'shivering' a minute or so before it wrapped round, was this a bite or a fish brushing past the line? also do they move into deeper water as the season goes on?

Thanks for any answers/help

Adie

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

This is known as the see saw, vibration or buzz bite. If you are feeling for the bites the sensation is like someone was sandpapering the line.

I first experienced these bites from barbel in the early 60s when I started touch legering on the Yorkshire rivers. No-one has ever been able to put their finger on what causes them.

Sometimes you can catch a hundred barbel and never get one of these bites. Sometimes that's all you do get.

The last occasion I got one of these bites was when I caught a 9 1/2 pounder fron the Swale. The quiver tip vibrated back and forth extremely rapidly, I stuck and the fish was hooked in the side of the mouth.

I, and many others still do not know what causes them. I have never yet experienced these bites on the Trent.

Reaction score
I fished a private stetch of the Teme in the early nineties and there was one swim where this seemed to be the rule rather than exceptional.

For the Teme it was a very, very deep pool, below 70 yards of gravel. Even in the height of summer you could expect 7-10ft.

All the other swims on the stretch produced classic wrap-arounds, but this one swim was all buzz bites.

We struck at the first shake, we waited a bit, we waited for wrap-arounds, but never worked a pattern whilst fishing on rod rests.

I think Ron's hit the nail on the head with touch-legering. You just 'know' when to strike.

Still no idea what causes it though!

S

Sean Meeghan

The strange thing about these 'buzz bites' is that even though you are fishing very light with almost no tension on a quiver tip you can still feel them. My previous Swale PB barbel gave me a bite like this and I was fishing caster with a 2 swan shot link ledger with almost no curve in the quiver tip. I still felt the vibration quite distinctly through the rod handle - wierd!

A

Adrian Bartle

No big thing to all you experienced Barbel anglers, but I managed my first double last evening 10lb 1oz, well pleased!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Well done Adrian, a double is a big fish from anywhere and a first double will always be special.

S

Sean Meeghan

Nice one Adrian - not a bad start to your Barbel fishing career!

captain carrott

Reaction score
youre spoilt now it takes some people years to get their first double you got one in a fortnight. not bad going that.

A

Adrian Bartle

Mr Carrott,

I must admit I do wonder if I've peaked too soon (Mrs. says that's nothing new!):)

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Well done Adrian, brilliant result for a newbie.

I have heard that the vibration is caused by the barbules under the barbels mouth, don't know if it's true though?