Commercials

• Thread starter Kevin Perkins * * * * * * *
  • Start date
K

Kevin Perkins * * * * * * *

Dave

Excellent article, but I wonder about the triangular shaped feeder shown. Does it not offer a 1 in 3 chance of the bait ending up underneath the cage when it lands on the lake bed, or does this not happen in practice?

Knowing how particular some carp boys are about bait presentation, I would imagine the mere thought of the bait being obscured, albeit even sightly, would have them chewing their fingernails down to the elbow...!

The reason I mention this is that is exactly the same make of feeder that I used at Clattercote, and having the bait hiding underneath explains why I blanked (again)....!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I don't know what Dave does Kevin but the usual practice with this type of feeder is to build more groundbait on one side (the opposite side to the two where the hook is buried) which is therefore heavier and lands that side down.

K

Kevin Perkins * * * * * * *

Hmm.... I don't want to bring Pythagoras into the equation, but surely on a three sided object, one plane or side cannot be opposite the other.

All I was looking for is any excuse (however feeble) for my continued blanking at Clattercote....!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
My god, you were quick there Kevin, but if one side is down then other two must not be, so to speak!

I know the carp boys prefer that type of method feeder, perhaps its a distance thing but its not the choice of most non carp anglers and if something can go wrong, then it will, with me at any rate. I daresay its a personal choice, whatever tickles your fancy......

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
A resounding cheer for Dave for having a crack at writing an article despite working with the editor from hell (me).

It's Sean O'Farrell's turn for the next two weeks on matchfishing Commercials.

It's good to see more people having a go at writing articles.

W

Wolfman Woody

Kevin.

Your theory might be quite sound, it's the reason I prefer the flatter sort like the Korum and new Fox flat feeders. However, you have been to Clattercote more than three times now to my knowledge and should have, by the laws of averages, caught fish on at least one of those occasions.

Wait a minute, you did catch at least one! I have a picture taken just before the one where you fell of the chair. Probably shock!

M

Mark Hodson

If you ever get the chance to see a carp attack a method feeder you will see that they role it about in order to get at every bit of feed, they really pile into the feeder like an angry dog at times intent on stripping it of every morsel. Thats why you get all those voilent indications prior to a take. As a result as long as there is an hookbait somewhere they will find it, whether its underneath or not. The problem comes with the more delicate feeders like tench and bream, thats when you need to worry where your hookbait is.

Just Dave

Reaction score
Kevin

I must admit the first time I was shown this method i thought the same but I assure you it does work. As Mark has said, if the carp are feeding then they hit this like a mad, starving dog. If your bait was underneath, it won't be for long.

Graham

Rightly said Graham, 'this is a carp boys favourite' but the article was for the "Carpers Method":-D

Mark Wintle (ACA)

Thanks for the opportunity to write this, I enjoyed it. (I see you replaced a couple of pics for the blurred versions I mistakingly sent you!!!)

Dave Rollin

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Just catching up on this series.
As Mark promissed at the begining, there should be something for everybody.
This one has got to be the most in-depth explanation, along with its variables of the method I have ever seen.
Many thanks Dave and well done.

Alex Peake 2

Reaction score
Rather new to carp fishing (about 3 months) and fopund the articles on the method extremely helpful. I generally fish the same commercial pond and have had varied success. The first technique i used was the flat type feeder inline. I tried with almost everything side hooked boilie, dead maggot, sweetcorn, luncheon meat, pellets, worm and maggot (all buried in the feeder) and blanked three times, which left me rather dispondent! I then tried the circular type method still burying the hook bait and returned with 3 fish about 3-4lb. I thought that if i varied it again i might get some success so. I tried the circular and triangular type feeders but instead of burying the hookbait i tried it about 2-3 inches from the feeder. I also used live bait (lob worms, worms and maggot). Instantly I have had success! Thursday i pulled out about 12 carp from 2-6lb and went on a nightfish last night and had 17 lovely carp from 2-8lb (8lb being my best yet!). So i was wondering if anyone else had found the same problem? I am hoping to go to a larger fishery now and try and bag a better personal best but am happy with my current progress and has got my fire for fishing really going!

Alex Peake 2

Reaction score
Oh and do you think I should vary my techniques or can i happilly continue with my method feeding to bag the bigger fish, as i do love this way of fishing. cheers

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Alex,

Through perseverence you are discovering that angling success comes to those prepared to experiment, and as your confidence grows so your catches improve too.

Whatever you do keep experimenting; even the best methods need constant variation.

Just Dave

Reaction score
Alex

I'm pleased to see the method work so well for you and as Mark hi-lights, variety is the spice of life!

In the article I just tried to give a basic set-up that anyone can start from then modify to suit venues and preferences. I.e. currently I can't leave peperami (the spicy one in red) alone, it's become my mainstay and has landed me carp from 4lb to 24lb plus tench up to 8lb. The 24 was 10lb bigger than anything the owner realised was in the water and he was even there when I landed it. Even so, when catch-rate reduces my tactics will vary again, all carpers vary tactics constantly.

F E

Reaction score
Dave

About hook size: I use size 1 for 3-4lbs carps. They have big mouth, and they can't eject big hooks. I am beginner, I might be wrong... with smaller sizes I catch sunfishes which I don't need... I use sweet corn from can, usually 5-7 for a size-1 hook.

Toronto, Canada.