A new fishing rod material

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I have recently been talking to a senior executive of one of Britains most innovative rod and blank manufacturers who shall at this stage be nameless.

Briefly, the concept of the rolled hollow carbon fibre tube used for making fishing rods over the past 30 or so years has reached its zenith in terms of technology. It is now time to move on. Carbon rolled tubes do have a number of disadvantages which many of you will be aware of. The most important being tendency to ovality on being bent, the presence of a "spine" and fragility.

The biggest advantage of the rolled tube concept is of course lightness and comparitively low manufacturing costs.

This new technology will incorporate lightness and strength, coupled with the adsence of a spine, or the tendency to "get weaker as it is bent" due to ovality.

It sounds that there could be some exciting developments in the future, particularly with fly rods.

Deanos

Reaction score
The tackle tarts will be reaching for there cheque books already Ron!

If indeed carbon rod development has reached its zenith, then really I would
be most wary of any new ground breaking developments.
?Quality rods? as they stand today are a delight to use in both action and lightness,
I would be very sceptical about innovations in materials that would make today?s best
any better, but of course always willing to be proved wrong!
Any person wishing to sell a new product has by nature to ?pitch? against the opposition to break into a market or establish a new one.
I shall watch this one with interest. Shall you be field testing one Ron?

S

Sean Meeghan

Hmm we wouldn't be talking air frame technology here Ron would we? Lots of heat and pressure, maybe even reforming material structure?

R

Deanos,

If the quality and price is right, and the new material meets with all the required specifications, then I am sure it will sell.

New improved concepts have got to be taken seriously. Of course the many vested interests will kick against it, but not for long.

They will then be trying to copy it.

R

Extrusion and controlled stretching under heat may come into it.

D

david bruce 1

Whilst talking of materials what happened to Boron as a material to be used in rods? I had a delightful 'Boron' fly rod but have been unable to find them on the market now.

W

Wolfman Woody

I see there is one compnay starting to manufacture a new range of SOLID carbon rods for sea fishing.

Funny, but I thought that's where it all started 40 years ago.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Bundles of polymer fibres distributed around a compression-resistant core would give great resistance to ovality. If the polymer is cellulose, you've got bamboo!

Justa fort; Buckminster-Fullerenes - as I recall, the spherical ones (sixty carbon atoms) were the commonest, with a second peak at seventy carbons - a "stretched" ball with a "belt" set into it, so it was slightly tubular - what happened to the hope that longer tubes could be made; and if they can be, are they strong?

R

Boron was superceded by new carbon formulations. Not only that it was expensive.

R

You are getting close I think Alan.

Don't ask me too much about the technology because I don't know, but it will come from aerospace research; of that I have no doubt.

P

Phil Hackett disability bad speller with Pride

And I thought there was very little wind today for flying Kites Ron?

Me thinks you state the bloody obvious Don't ask me too much about the technology because I don't know, but it will come from aerospace research; of that I have no doubt.

Since the advent of Boron for rod making, the aerospace industry has been at the forefront of the technology for lightweight tubing composites.