Triangia V Coleman

• Thread starter BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester
  • Start date
B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

My Coleman stove has finally bit the dust and is beyond worthwhile repair.

I am looking at another Coleman (533) petrol stove for ?39.

OR

The Triangia 27-8 or 27-2
The 27-8 can be adapted to gas if prefered for ?20. Although I fancy the idea of useing meths.

I would only need the cooker for the odd overnight session and all day sessions. Plus through the Winter for heating a pan of soup on at work.

Can anybody advise on the above, or know of something better?

S

Sean Meeghan

Stick with the Coleman Baz. Or if you want something better have a look at the MSR Dragonfly. It will run on unleaded without clogging and has much better simmering control than the Coleman. There's a review in the Reviews section.

S

Sean Meeghan

If you search on brands on your link above you'll find it. The Pocket Rocket is also a good stove if you only want to make a cuppa it runs on butane cartridges.

S

Sean Meeghan

The only problem with meths burners is that they are slow and not very controllable. I've used Colemans and the MSR in seriously bad conditions in high mountains and, other than when a Coleman tried to set fire to my tent one night in the High Sierra, they've been really reliable.

S

Sean Meeghan

You should be really careful with aluminium pans if you use them regularly. Don't clean them with abrasive cleaners as aluminium can cause Alzheimers.

T

The Monk

I`m not well up on these modern stoves Baz, but I used a Trangia for years and then went over to Coleman and never really looked back mate

B

What were the Triangia's weaknesses Monk?

T

The Monk

Basically Baz it took such a long time to cook anything, The trangia is basically desined for walkers survivalists types, not for anyone would wanted a meal in a hurry, plus meths tints baits more so than unleaded fuel, The Coleman can be pumped into action (like a few women I know haha), the tragia is very slow to respond though (also like a few women I know). However always carry a ferw sets of new generators for the Coleman, they dont really last too long mate and i wouldnt reccommend using it in the bivvy, in fact dont use any stove in the bivvy, trust me on this one, I have seen a lot of bivvies burned down over the years, cook well away from the brolli or bivvy, ideally in your mates bivvy

Milo

Reaction score
What happens when the generator's finished, Monk? I've used the Coleman double-burner for years camping and no problems.

T

The Monk

ypou just replace the generator, you can do this in a few minutes on the bank providing you carry the appropriate spanner with you, generally the wire which runs through the centre of the generator usually snapos after time for carry a spare pice of wire too, If you have used the Colemans with the same generator for a while, I would suggest you remove the generator and put it in a saucer of meths overnight to help clear the carbon particulate build ups, this usually extends the life in them, do however make sure the seals are working as you can occasionally get blow backs, my mate lost his eyelashes in this way, which was a bit of a bugger as he saw his arse and I had to finish the breakfast off and i was entertaining a ruffe slapper at the time!

Milo

Reaction score
Thanks for that. The generator on the little one burners (Sportster is it?) sounds different to mine - mine has a long solid pipe with another thin pipe running through the centre through which the petrol vapours flow. What are the symptoms of a dying/dead generator?

I've actually got two of these double-burners! I bought my mate's off him when he sold off all his camping gear.

Milo

Reaction score
With regards to fuel, I would go with petrol as it's much easier to find than gas when you're stuck! You'll find an open petrol station before you found someone selling the type of gas cannister/cylinder you need! Plus, if you drive a petrol car, you may just be carrying a green 5 litre can of it in the boot!

B

This is what I know about the stoves mentioned.

Budget ?50.

Coleman.

relatively trouble free. A replacement generator costs ?10-?15. I was getting just over twelve monthes out of one. useing it everyday. Pans would have to be carried seperately.

They don't do the hard cases anymore and my dog has chewed my old one up. If I could get a case I would probably stick with the Coleman.

Triangia.

More light weight. No working parts to break down. The lad in the shop swears by them, even over Colemans. He is a scout and does lots of walking and camping dib dib dib.
I don't think it was just sales talk with him as he took me through every stage of how and what you can do with them. He seemed to be very knowledgeable simply through useing one of them.
The pans etc are built in.

The gas type.

Very compact and lightweight. Canisters cost between ?3-?4 a chuck for the smaller ones, which could work out quite pricey in the long run.
Pans etc carried seperately.

Any more pros and cons would be appreciated.

Still can't decide.

T

The Monk

What are the symptoms of a dying/dead generator?

basically they dont pump up properly, you`ll know when that happens and you will know the difference once you replace the generator, memember probably know I have spent serious time out on the bank both in the UK Europe and overseas, never been let down with a Colemanns and you can always find fuel regardless of country

B

Symptoms of a dyeing generator.
If you're lucky very low pressure. Usually it just don't work.

Milo

Reaction score
My Coleman burner probably gets used about 40 days a year, cooking breakfast, dinner and the batches of hemp and maize!

T

The Monk

Yes you really do need a reliable stove, I can rememebr once in Eastern Europe when my stove let me down, I was reduced to eating the locals

B

I had a chat with a couple of the Carp lads tonight. They were both useing Triangia's.
Said they couldn't fault them and had them for ten years.
The problem is that I had a Coleman. No problems with it at all. But now it is up for renewal And just like when you change your car,I fancy something different. Know what I mean Monk? (-;

I'll see another one of the lads tomorrow and see if he can get hold of a case for me for a Coalman. Then I'll decide what to do hopefully.

Interesting thread that Milo by the way.