sh-t what a nice day.

Rik Smith

Reaction score
Always remember the day and the place Priory marina Bedford about 12 years ago.Lovely place to fish, got there early 5.00a.m after the first tench in the edge always seemed to get one first light there just flicking a baited hook out with light float 3 feet into the swim. 2minutes later tench on and in the net. Great start into the keep net . Get the tea out sorted all the gear out after the first tench because the least disturbance the better.
Where am i going with this well read on .
So there i was 6 a.m . precisely and i was sweating a real warm early sun that day so off comes the shirt 6.00 am. and no shirt on !! because it was that warm on that day. So the day continues more tench for a short while followed by a good net of bream and some roach on the hemp when the temperature really rose. What the temp was i dont know probably mid eighties , the fish were netted up in a deep water part in the rushes so they were fine. Let the fish go about noon. And carried on fishing slipping back the fish this time ,throughout the day the sun hammered down still sitting there no shirt.In fact the whole day i sat there apart from the odd break for tea. Packed in 9.PM. Back felt a bit sore but hey i could take it, i was a man. As i use to bike down the marina esiest way to get there. When i went to get on my bike so to speak that holdall across my shoulders was like a hot knife as it scratched its way across. Biked home in fricking agony about 11/2 miles. My back by then was raw in fact if i recall correctly it bled. So 12 yrs on still got the scars those lovely freckly marks you get when you managed to burn yourself in the sun.But the mole that was on my back the big flat bugger that i've just had taken off. Well just got the results through and yes ,SKIN-CANCER !! Was it that day that kicked it off? who knows i've fished loads of days without a shirt on along with a lot of other anglers, but that one stuck in my mind.Be a man put your shirt on dont try and be a hero with a "look at my great tan" attitude. Heroes die young.Fingers crossed it will get cleared up . But as yet don't know.So keep your shirts on lads if you all want to teach your grandkids how to fish and tell'em your old tales.Remember DEAD MEN dont speak.

Beecy

Reaction score
Yes sound advise.

i saw a tv programme a while ago and they were showing you the damage done to skin by the sun under UV light, scarey stuff!

You dont even have to get bad sun burn for it to do damage, just regular exposure is enough.

Mad dogs and Englishmen eh?

cricket hat, long sleve baggy shirt and long trousers for me even on the hottest days

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
And plenty of sun-block on the backs of your hands, 'cos they really catch it!
Don't omit the sun-block just because you've got a hat on - the u.v. reflected off the water is not much good to you!

Timely post, Rik, the best of luck to you.

E

EC

Top post Rik, and a subject that the tackle manufacturers and angling press pay very little regard to mate!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Good post mate and i do hope that all will be ok.

swanny999

Reaction score
I recall a similar day in 1971. I was in the army at the time in NI. On a hot day a few of us fishing on the canal that ran at the back of the camp, just shorts and no shirt. My back blistered very badly I couldn't go sick and it hurt like hell especially carrying a bloody big radio. Two weeks before it was any where near better. As Rik said still got the freckles across the shoulders. Touch wood no moles as yet. The last time I did that, now I keep out of the sun as much as possible and keep a shirt on.

Rik Smith

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies lads .Fingers crossed it will be o.k. Just in-case anyone thinks a mole isn't much to take off well it was a 3/4" incision 5 stitches to start. the follow up is going to cut out another 1/2" all the way round the first cut and into it the same distance.I'll be like a walking bullseye.lol.Better get some fishing in before its cut. Lifes full of ups and downs.But and this is a big BUT we've always got fishing!!!!!! One of the few luxuries life gives us.So enjoy it while you can 'cos you never know whats around that corner. Cheers again. p.s DONT GO TO PORTUGAL FOR YOUR HOLS!!!!! ANYMORE.BAS---DS.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Rik, I wish you all the best, and hope everything turn's out A ok, at 16, my back got badly burnt, since then, 47 years ago, the sun has seen no more than my arms, face, neck and legs.

And just to inject humour, A friend of mine had to go into hospital to have a mole removed from his penis, the surgeon told him, that if he went in again with the same thing, he'd report him to the police and the RSPCA.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

On a day like today it only takes 10 to 15 minutes for the sun to do it's damage so thanks for the timely reminder Rik.
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you mate.