Do you fish for the weight.......

dezza

Reaction score
Or do you fish for the challenge?

If someone told you that the roach in such and such a water were very difficult to catch, and if you did catch one it would generally be under a pound.

And then you heard of a water where it is a 2 pounder a chuck and anybody with the slightest resemblance of skill could catch a net of twos in a couple of hours, which water would you head for?

Let's take another scenario.

You have a couple of double figure tench under your belt, so you refuse point blank to fish any water where the tench do not exceed 7lbs because it is a waste of time. Yes I have met anglers with this attutude. Does this describe yourself?

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Ron,

I believe that the old adage is generally true:

First you want to catch any fish!

Then you move on and want to catch the most fish or as many as possible

Then you move on and want to catch the biggest fish

When you've got that out of your system (can take a lifetime) you just want to go fishing.

I'm at the last stage these days, I enjoy most types, I get revved up from time to time and target a particular species or style of fishing but I can enjoy an evenings float fishing for Rudd, a session after a decent carp, a days fly fishing with good mates on a commercial etc, size is important but only in terms of what is in the water. The challenge is far more important than size to me, I've nothing to prove other than to myself.

One obsevation for those on the size stage of the cycle, I went through that stage in the eighties, was moderately successful with a string of fish that were quite impressive at the time but now most look run of the mill. If Tench, Bream, Carp, Barbel keep getting bigger, today's specimens will suffer the same fate! You can only catch what's there.

dezza

Reaction score
It was an American journalist (I forget who), who put that list of the various stages in an anglers life togther. I think "the most difficult" must also be added.

A lot of big fish anglers go around bragging of their big fish lists, when the only sort of angling they have ever done is bolt rigging with boilies, bite alarms, bedchairs and bivvies. The incredible thing today is that a large percentage of UK coarse fish have been caught to great size using such tactics.

Such a shame.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
I think "the most difficult" must also be added.

That would make sense Ron.

I think that many of the big fish anglers you mention are missing out on the potential wonderful variety of our sport, it's their loss.

Have been fishing the evening rise for brownies recently, every rise is magic, every fish a memory to savour. A lot of observation, watercraft, and a bit of luck needed. Next week, I'm going tench fishing. I can enjoy sitting behind the buzzers too, just wouldn't want to be limited to that.

Each and every one to their own.

Last edited:

richiekelly

Reaction score
your post is dead right for me stu, i am at the last stage having been through the others a number of years ago,when i was in the size stage which lasted many years i started to not enjoy my fishing as much the only thing that mattered was catching big fish of whatever species i was targeting,anything not of a size i wanted wasnt good enough and lead to a lot of dissapoinments, i had become obssesed with size and it got so bad that it cost me a marrige[that spelling doesnt look right] one night at a barbel catchers meeting i was talking to another member about how i wasnt enjoying my fishing any more and he said that i needed to stop and just go fishing, i did and how right he was i started to enjoy it again the stress had gone from it and funny enough a few years later i started to catch fish of a size i was after before.

i feel that its a shame that a lot of youngsters come into the sport and are straight away into the size stage, this seems especialy true in carp fishing and is probably why such a lot of carp tackle [complete sets] can be seen for sale, i still fish for big fish but the secret is to enjoy all fish that you catch.

in answer to the origanal question 30 odd years ago i would have gone for the 2lber water but now it would be the more difficult one,catching big fish constantly without having to work at it or think about what you are doing devalues the fish you are catching. the size of fish that you are catching needs to be kept in perspective to the water that you are fishing.

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
With many anglers it's all about getting a "PB"!

Hell, how I loathe and detest that acronym. I wouldn't mind if they just said "Personal Best".

Of course my own definition of what a personal best is, is most likely totally different to how a personal best is judged by others. Weight and weight alone is what I would imagine is how a personal best is judged, irrespective of the condition the fish is in or how well it fought.

Would you say that a grossly obese pregnant woman is the perfect specimen of humanity?

barbelboi

Reaction score
Whether fishing on a lake or a river IMO being there is the most important, especially with a good friend or two. I still get the same buzz when I set off fishing as I did in 1952 when I caught my first tinca that my dad’s ‘little sampson’ balance indicated was 1lb 10oz, a memory I shall never forget (I believe another angler caught an even more impressive fish that year).
Yes, I’d go for the tricky smaller roach. However, as the only commercials that I usually fish are Marsh Farm and one other, I am not unduly sad in catching a specimen fish from the waters that I do fish.

little oik

Reaction score
Not a chance .To me its the whole experience now .There are a few lakes that I fish where the fish are not huge .Tench to 4 rudd to a pound and roach to a pound with an odd chance of a bream turning up .I fish them quite regularly because its not the size of the fish its just the enjoyment of being on those particular lakes .The atmosphere is second to none and the adrenalin buzz still hits you as you walk to your swim for the first time in the morning .I often drive past the "bigger fish lakes" to get the these as they have no soul if that makes any sense

noknot

Reaction score
Hello, Ron, I must say what a great thread topic this is!

I would say I would fish both types of waters, but for different reasons, a fish a chuck is fun sometimes, however a challenge makes you work for each and every fish! I have been a Carp angler for many a year now, and have fished a variety of waters from Estate lakes to vast open windswept gravel pits, again I get enjoyment from them all, but again, it's all down to what you are looking for. For example, I used to fish a 90+acre pit in the S/E, which held a small stock of Carp, I blanked for a 3 month period fishing 48-72hrs sessions per week! I could have gone to another 50+acre pit and caught 20+ Carp in 24hrs, but at the time I wanted the BIG Carp!

Today is a different game, in so much in HK we do not have the range of waters as you have in the UK, But I have had Carp to 26+ from a day water, the real challenge for me now is to catch a 20+virgin Common from a 3000 acre Resi, that will be my "PB" not in weight, but merit! Roll on Sept!:w

chav professor

Reaction score
Some times its all about targets and P.B.'s (sorry peronal bests).... So long as your targets are realistic for the type of venue you have access too, no harm there.

There are times when its just about just being there. But over the season targets keep me motivated - the sessions where its all about just being there keep it 'fresh'.

I would love to find a venue where an easy 2lb roach was a possibility... but I would still value the experience of catching a good 'pounder' from a tougher venue. Most of my target fish came after many years trying and staying focused.... I enjoyed all the other fish on the way.......

jack sprat

Reaction score

If someone told you that the roach in such and such a water were very difficult to catch, and if you did catch one it would generally be under a pound.

And then you heard of a water where it is a 2 pounder a chuck and anybody with the slightest resemblance of skill could catch a net of twos in a couple of hours, which water would you head for?

Sometimes it's nice to indulge yourself so a net of easy '2's would be OK for a change. Had many thousands of roach under a pound, mainly easy sometimes hard but commonplace all the same.

dezza

Reaction score
Old **** Walker once wrote that he would rather catch a 1 pound roach from the Ouse than a 2 pounder from a dead easy water,

I would say that a 1 pound roach from the Trent would also be a tremendous target.

noknot

Reaction score
Ron, please don't ruin a good thread by constant name dropping, there is no need for it, theres a good chap............:eek:mg:

BarryC

Reaction score
Both realy.
I sometimes try for a PB if I know the water holds them.
Sometimes I will fish a venue specificaly for those 'uncatchables' and more often than not find out why they are called that. They do'nt have to be big.
Often I will just go to a nice comfortable venue and enjoy catching anything that comes along.
If I've had several sessions for a PB and failed miserably (as usual) a day catching lovely little crucians on my club lake is magic.

bigchub

Reaction score
I suppose I now fish for both really. I really would like to up my personal best chub but I'm catching them of all sizes. I guess it depends on the mood I'm in on the day.

cg74

Reaction score
Ron, please don't ruin a good thread by constant name dropping, there is no need for it, theres a good chap............:eek:mg:

Come on t'was inevitable; besides all anglers everywhere should fish according to the late Richard Walker's ethos, surely?:wh

His word is gospel (almost the unwritten ten commandments of angling) and Ron is obviously one of his disciples, so we should pay heed.:w

Ron, we is not wurvey!!:D

Let's take another scenario.

You have a couple of double figure tench under your belt, so you refuse point blank to fish any water where the tench do not exceed 7lbs because it is a waste of time. Yes I have met anglers with this attutude. Does this describe yourself?

Not all a description of me, even though I have a distinct preference for catching big fish, I fish purely for MY enjoyment.
One day it might be chasing chub that will never excede 4lb from a 15ft wide brook, next could see me seeking double figure tench or sitting it out for big bream.
So it goes on; barbel from the prolific middle Severn or Teme, followed by head banging for scant rewards on the Thames or Cherwell.....

Regards the roach fishing scenario, though I've never encountered easy 2lb+ roach waters. There are however no shortage of similar scenarios involving carp and as said already, easy/hard fish, just whatever takes my fancy when I step out of the door to grab my kit.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Come on t'was inevitable; besides all anglers everywhere should fish according to the late Richard Walker's ethos, surely?:wh

His word is gospel (almost the unwritten ten commandments of angling) and Ron is obviously one of his disciples, so we should pay heed.:w

Ron, we is not wurvey!!:D

Most anglers would be better anglers if they did:D