Berkeley Fluorocarbon

nicky

Reaction score
I'm thinking about trying flourocarbon for the first time.
My tackle shop has some berkeley flourocarbon ?5.99 for 100yds.

Is this line suitable for hooklinks or is it better as a mainline, it works out alot cheaper than other flourocarbon lines that he has.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
If it's Vanish then it can be used for hook links. It's thicker than some of the others and stiff. Watch your knots ensuring tht they are wetted before tightening. I am trying other makes currently that seem better so far but more expensive.

nicky

Reaction score
Mark I think it is vanish.

I was thinking of getting some 6 or 8lb to use with the method.

i was also thinking to try it on my local small river for chub, the water is clear and shallow.

would 8lb flourocarbon still be better than 3 or 4 lb mono for the chub in regards to them not being able to see the line

captain carrott

Reaction score
of course krystonite isn't fluorocarbon. but you really only need fluoro for the hook length.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Neither Krystonite nor Vanish are true fluorocarbon lines. They are nylon with a fluoro coating. Of the two Krystonite is by far the best.

The best true fluoros are those used for fly line leaders, with Airflo Sightfree amongst the best.

T

Terry D

If you're fishing the method then you don't really need a flouro line. Use 'normal' lane and a good backshot like a AAA about 2ft up the line to pin it to the deck.

njb51

Reaction score
Vanish suffers A LOT from line twist and will often coil up after a tussle with a moderate fighting fish. Meaning an annoying change in hooklength.

Michael Howson

Reaction score
Nicky. One point you should be aware of is that flouro carbon is much stiffer than mono so if you are barbel fishing it might not be a problem but on still waters where the fish can detect the lack of suppleness i would think hard about using it. Just a thought.

J

John McLaren

Nicky, see my recent thread on this stuff - it seems ok tied to swivels and hooks using a palomar knot but tie it to another length of line via a water knot or similar and it breaks well below b.s.